Fast and powerful distro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Epic fail was to choose gtk for Firefox thus its interface is slow as crap.
    Fail again. It's XUL fault, not GTK+.

Comment

Y
      Originally posted by gedgon View Post
      Fail again. It's XUL fault, not GTK+.
      Nope. Thunar's interface is also slow. It doesn't use xul. Double fail. Btw. Gtk-gnutella is probably an only gtk based app with responsive interface.

Comment

Try CrunchBang!

Crunchbang's now based on Debian Testing and it uses Openbox as a window manager. It's as minimal and clean as it comes

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Y

Nope. Thunar's interface is also slow. It doesn't use xul. Double fail. Btw. Gtk-gnutella is probably an only gtk based app with responsive interface.
          Rotfl, and my car is fast because is red. The ultimate truth.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
            You can't go wrong with...anything, really, as long as it's not Arch. Phoronix benchmarks debunked the Arch myth last year:

A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison
            Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

A representative example from the first one:

LOL
            To the OP, this pretended to be a joke. Arch will of course be as fast as anything else (though there's not reason for it to be substantially faster either).

There was a time when posting something like this would break havoc in the forum. Not anymore : (

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
              Rotfl, and my car is fast because is red. The ultimate truth.
              Look at Blackstar reply - colour (theme) can have impact on performance. My car is fast, because it has powerfull engine - Qt.

Comment

I really like KDE4, lot of devs have recognised that qt libs have more code quality. The weak point of kde 4 is memory usage, kde4 is a memory sucker, so it isn't exactly a lightweight desktop environment as OP has asked. About speed/cpu usage, well all DE are using little cpu so you shouldn't note any speed impact on your apps because u are using one DE in particular, except for composite - opengl apps, but this is another history.

About memory usage, you can tune kde4 by totally disabling akonadi-nepomuk manually (the configure setting on system window doesn't do the job).

450 MB with akonadi enabled
                230 MB with akonadi disabled

to do so:

*** totally disable the fucking akonadi ***

Open ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
                Code:
                StartServer=false

Open ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc and set "Start Nepomuk" to false.
                Code:
                [Basic Settings]
                Start Nepomuk=false

Open ~/.kde4/share/config/kdedrc and set "autoload" to false for nepomuksearchmodule:
                Code:
                [Module-nepomuksearchmodule]
                autoload=false
                I have filled a bug about the abnormal amount of akonadi memory usage, so if you are interested vote it

Comment

Originally posted by dinkygreg View Post
                  sorry if this has been posted before, but I still want your current opinions. Well, I have been using Linux for a while (various distros), but not very happy. Now I want to choose a lightweight, fast, minimalist, customizable enough with no specific graphical environment, bleeding edge distro for a new laptop. I want to be able to compile from source to make my own changes. I am not a Linux expert and not even an advanced user. So what do you guys suggest?

Thanks.
                  If you have the time, I really recommend you simply play around and see what you like. To really get the most out of any distro, learn-by-playing is probably going to be best option, and you improve your linux skills at the same time.
                  Given your requirements, I do recommend looking at gentoo, although be prepared for some difficulties in setting up & learning with it.
                  For desktop shells, again just try and see what you like. If you'll be travelling around and using a trackpad more than a mouse, best to keep that in mind as well - a desktop that runs fast, and one that you can use fast aren't necessarily going to be the same (as an example, not sure I'd like to use E16 with a trackpad).

Comment

Working...
                  X