ReactOS May Begin Heavily Using Wine Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazy View Post
    Haha got some benchmarked PGO linux builds to back that statement up?
    Like the build distributed by Mozilla? Go ahead. You'll only confirm that it's not much better.

And here's your "10% difference" :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Like the build distributed by Mozilla? Go ahead. You'll only confirm that it's not much better.

And here's your "10% difference" :P

http://tuxradar.com/content/browser-...-linux-firefox
      Those tests are not from a current Firefox. In the comments it is stated that this discrepancy may have been fixed in Firefox 3.1 (now 3.5). I'd like to see new tests... maybe something for PTS?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Those tests are not from a current Firefox. In the comments it is stated that this discrepancy may have been fixed in Firefox 3.1 (now 3.5). I'd like to see new tests... maybe something for PTS?
        Current enough for you?

Yes FF in win still pummels the linux version.

Comment

Linux Firefox in inherently slower than Windows Firefox. Optimization has nothing to do with it. It's because some code is different between platforms and the Linux specific code doesn't get as much attention as the Windows one.
          Well optimization does have 'something' to do with it. The difference between using PGO and not using PGO can be quite big (typically 10-20% for me).

Back on topic, if win32 subsystem is developing slower than the rest of the ReactOS project then I'd say that using Wine to 'emulate' rather than replicate win32 is a smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
            Haha got some benchmarked PGO linux builds to back that statement up?
            I asked on Firefox forum some time ago and someone said Firefox 3.6 should be much better on Linux then previous versions, so I believe RealNC is right.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              I asked on Firefox forum some time ago and someone said Firefox 3.6 should be much better on Linux then previous versions, so I believe RealNC is right.
              Did you look at the linked thread? Better yes, but still far behind the windows build of minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I am using FF 3.6 RC2 right now and indeed it feels much faster. I did not benchmark it against Windows, but I guess I'll do.

And about PGO: who on earth has time to do that :P

Comment

And about PGO: who on earth has time to do that :P
                  Gentoo users.

Comment

Hang on.. none of the linked benchmarks compared PGO builds of firefox on linux. The whole point is that getting PGO linux builds working is an outstanding bug:
                    RESOLVED (taras.mozilla) in Firefox Build System - General. Last updated 2018-11-26.

...which has already been resolved (and is routinely performed) for windows builds:

hopefully this is fixed by 3.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                      Gentoo users.
                      I am a Gentoo user and I really don't have the patience to compile everything twice with a test-run in-between for PGO

Comment

Working...
                      X