Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    I don't get your problem, there is a 64 bit flash player. I wrote a script that should work everywhere with wget or curl installed - if you find a system without those tools tell me:

Be sure to uninstall every opensource flash player before. Run the script only as user NOT as root. Btw. Ubuntu 64 bit is really STUPID. There still nspluginwrapper is used while it is not needed since over 1 year!

Leave a comment:

• VinzC
    replied
    Rant: can't you Phoronix guys for a change stop using Flash as the only one video source? As you know (do you?) Firefox natively uses suitable video/audio formats and there are many, many free plugins available for non-Firefox users... Especially on 64-bit platforms... (We're not all running Ubuntu, you know :-] and, well, proprietary OS captives do probably not mind using proprietary players...) Use more than one alternative since HTML EMBED and OBJECT allow nesting players.
    Last edited by VinzC; 14 December 2009, 04:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    The better measure would be to compare the same distribution in the same hardware once with KMS and once without and then check the boot speed.
    Good idea for a Phoronix article. "Ubuntu: uboot Vs. Plymouth performance"

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Thanks for the insight I always thought that it actually was the case because I've tried a few iterations of Fedora and it always booted slower on Intel, Ati and nVidia hardware than with Ubuntu.
    Yes that can happen but then we aren't comparing quite the same thing since there are many many version differences, the number of services started by default differs etc. The better measure would be to compare the same distribution in the same hardware once with KMS and once without and then check the boot speed.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    You should have been very baffled when the false dichotomy of Plymouth vs boot time was used as justification to go and write xsplash instead of just investing on making kernel mode setting work better and adopt Plymouth. KMS *reduces* boot time. Now that Red Hat (and Intel) have made KMS work across all the major drivers (Radeon, Nouveau and Intel), it does make very little sense not to use Plymouth.
    Thanks for the insight I always thought that it actually was the case because I've tried a few iterations of Fedora and it always booted slower on Intel, Ati and nVidia hardware than with Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    So what happened to improving boottime then? I'm a bit baffled by this...
    You should have been very baffled when the false dichotomy of Plymouth vs boot time was used as justification to go and write xsplash instead of just investing on making kernel mode setting work better and adopt Plymouth. KMS *reduces* boot time. Now that Red Hat (and Intel) have made KMS work across all the major drivers (Radeon, Nouveau and Intel), it does make very little sense not to use Plymouth.

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    Flash videos are broken by design, please add ogg videos with the help of HTML5.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    So what happened to improving boottime then? I'm a bit baffled by this...

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Please provide an Ogg Theora version of the video. If you need help, just ask here.

Leave a comment:

• panda84
    replied
    For those interested: there's an initial patch to make KDM work with Plymouth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X