No announcement yet.

Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems you are right, I thought you had to build the packages yourself before uploading them to a PPA.

Still, your comparison to the openSUSE build service is not valid, as that is one of a kind. If cross-distro build services were commo, you'd be right to bash Canonical on that. However, Red Hat, Debian, Arch, Gentoo don't do this either, but it seems noone bats an eyelid here. Why single out Ubuntu/Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
      Oh Yeah. Launchpad is not a buildservice, although it builds packages for ubuntu (only ubuntu) and Debian is upstream.

Characteristic demagogy of ubuntu fan
      Not to mention the translation capability.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Seems you are right, I thought you had to build the packages yourself before uploading them to a PPA.

Still, your comparison to the openSUSE build service is not valid, as that is one of a kind. If cross-distro build services were commo, you'd be right to bash Canonical on that. However, Red Hat, Debian, Arch, Gentoo don't do this either, but it seems noone bats an eyelid here. Why single out Ubuntu/Canonical?
        Difference is that all those distros you list send their fixes directly to to project effected when it is a base package bug/issue and that is something Canonical does once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
          Oh Yeah. Launchpad is not a buildservice, although it builds packages for ubuntu (only ubuntu) and Debian is upstream.

Characteristic demagogy of ubuntu fan
          Debian is upstream? What the hell are you talking about?

I said that Ubuntu developers coordinate their patches with Debian (so much for "keeping them to themselves") and they communicate directly with upstream ("just take a look at any bug report, I dare you").

Go on, I'm waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Not to mention the translation capability.
            Ha, a typical Ubuntu detractor who doesn't care to verify the nonsense he is sprouting.

Any project hosted on Launchpad can be translated. Check here for example.

You are welcome to host your own distro on Launchpad and use its facilities to translate it - just like the ubuntu releases you linked.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Debian is upstream? What the hell are you talking about?

I said that Ubuntu developers coordinate their patches with Debian (so much for "keeping them to themselves") and they communicate directly with upstream ("just take a look at any bug report, I dare you").

Go on, I'm waiting.
              Your definition of what is upstream is very different as to what others consider upstream. Upstream for most means sending it to the effected project not to a base distro of which your distro based on. What ubuntu does would be the equivalent of saying someguy spinning a opensuse based distro off susestudio, finding a issue with a software project, discovering it's a base project bug, then submitting a bug report to openSUSE's bugzilla and hoping they send the fix upstream to the base project instead of taking the bug and potential fix to the base software project.

Comment

Which part of "they communicate directly with upstream" don't you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by disi
                  If I look at myself, all desktops in the company are Windows, that's 8 hours a day Windows browsing. Then I go home and maybe in a good day I use Linux for another 3-4 hours to browse the Internet. Maybe 30% of the people are forced to do Windows browsing at work?
                  That wouldn't be representative, because the company you work for probably has a reason to use Windows (whatever reason), and while you are at work and browse the web you are reflecting the OS choice of your employer--the one paying the bill. But let's look at the figures:

In order of popularity
                  Operating System Requests Percentage
                  Windows 3,743,852 88.68%
                  Mac 272,173 6.45%
                  Linux 63,773 1.51%
                  iPhone 38,769 0.92%

Now let's suppose that the 100% of linux users are in your position, i.e. 4 hours out of 12 they browse at home with the OS of their choice, and the rest of the time they browse at work from a Windows machine. To reflect the hypothetical "OS market share of users' ideal choice", the figure for Linux would be the triple of what's on the table, 4.5%. Doing the same for Mac would bring it to about 19.5%. The Windows figure would thus be reduced to 72.8%, supposing that no home Windows user is forced to use another OS at work.

Comment

Personally I have at least six Linux machines at home and only one of them to my knowledge has ever visited Wikipedia. Neither of the Ubuntu machines ever have that I'm aware of.

Also, frankly, given the number of people always raving about their iPhones, I think that if Ubuntu is almost as popular then it's doing pretty well.

Comment

im a ubuntu user, it is great for beginners, switchers from another os and so on. if you have only basic needs and you accept what and how they do it for you, it is great.

ubuntu is so simple that you dont learn anything about linux. you just click somewhere on the few buttons and it works or does not.

if it does not work you are in deep troubles because all is hidden how the system works so you dont learn anything. that is the ms windows way... and you get such users...

the absolute most is learned through "learning by doing"! and this does not mean a gui which shows nothing and the next step is chown, mount, purge and so on on the cli...

transmission is a torrent client, absolute simple, nearly nothing to change in the options, no file paths or anything else "fancy". then there was a statement from marc people dont find their downloaded files and he wants a download folder. how should a noob find out where the downloads are if there is no info anywhere? yes, after google you know it...

if you have higher demands and own ideas it is too complicated.

download the files from these sites into this folder, iso from there in another one and such files from that sites into that folder. nautilus does not have 2 panels. yes there is gnome commander which can not set mime types. if you want to use the calendar of evolution you first need to set up email, so i never used it... thats just some insane stuff which i experienced.

they will drop gimp and instead use fspot. thats the way they go...

ubuntu is no more a debian based distro it is a deb based distro! as opensuse and fedora are rpm based distros. so the other distros should grab from ubuntu what is useful, it is free software...

the main critics does go against the lack of support for solving the basic problems. kernel, x.org, drivers and so on and that this stuff works together like a charm. it does not if you look into launchpad and ubuntu forum. the rest is a question of taste, everyone has his own...

ms was the first to go up and with it ie. ie was crap and people with more knowledge switched to firefox and suggested it to other people, so it grew up. firefox is crap too and there is place for chromium, which is not recommended because of phone home so it does not grow as it would be with tech recommend from more experienced users. ubuntu goes up and is still recommended for noobs, unsatisfied people will move on. a community needs people who are able to help...

so im looking for another distro in the direction of debian and sidux...

Comment

Working...
                      X