Arch Linux Powered CachyOS Adds Bcachefs Installer Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
    May 13 is too early a date to promote Cashy.Os. Given my interest in bcachefs, I followed today's links for the download, and created a bootable ISO. The installation program (May 13, today) has no bcachefs support. Downloaded iso has current date.

Phoronix! Are you one or two days early with this post?
    It is not working for grub. If you only have a BIOS System, then it wont be working.
    We only have support of it with refind or systemd-boot.
    Grub is very limited in filesystem features in general.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

It is not working for grub. If you only have a BIOS System, then it wont be working.
      We only have support of it with refind or systemd-boot.
      Grub is very limited in filesystem features in general.
      That would have been a good thing to mention, i was returning to this thread with exactly same issue as the person you answered to.

Comment

I'm thinking of trying this distro - there doesn't seem to be much difference with EndeavorOS? Is there? If you try both - are you just using slightly different Arch derivatives? What is the learning curve like if you're most familiar with Debian/Ubuntu derivatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          I'm thinking of trying this distro - there doesn't seem to be much difference with EndeavorOS? Is there? If you try both - are you just using slightly different Arch derivatives? What is the learning curve like if you're most familiar with Debian/Ubuntu derivatives?
          Actually, we keep going to be full arch compatible and using (mostly) arch defaults.
          You should learn a bit pacman, even though we provide for everything also a GUI alternative. Most common actions, like updating system, ranking mirrors, enabling common services, adding snapper support and co, can be simply done via "CachyOS-Hello".

Besides that, if you are installing for example another kernel variant, there is a kernel manager for it, which also install the required modules (e.G precompiled nvidia module, precompiled zfs module).

We are sometimes pulling earlier packages in then arch, for example nvidia 555 driver is already in the main repository, mesa 24.1 is pushed, kwin is patched with explicit sync and such things.
          But we are communicating these changes to the community via the social media (discord, forum, reddit) and also providing the command, to downgrade it again.

Comment

Working...
          X