Red Hat Announces RHEL AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Interesting to see that the built in LLM is only 7 billion parameters. Seems that this size is becoming default for many non-cloud deployments as 7 billion parameter LLMs should fit in the memory sizes of a typical desktop or even a single GPU with the required memory.
    right it just means it fit inside a gpu who has 8gb vram... its 7billion and not 8billion because the rest of the desktop need some vram to... so 7billion is the best you can do.

this even fit in my 6-7 years old vega64 with 8gb vram.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Please stop trolling. Someone should ban you!
      It seems you have too much free time.
      What about doing more prod6ctive efforts than trolling here?
      You are so toxic, it makes me puke and consider not visiting Phoronix anymore.
      Thanks to you, I'll use that time for more productive stuff
      he has not to much free time instead he is paid to perform subversive tasks here.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Im skipping FC40 for precisely that reason, hopefully FC41 gets back on track now the IBM streams fork is out of the way.
        Had my eye on Debian as an off ramp, long way from perfect, probably compare debian, FC4X and opensuse next hardware upgrade, no rush though.
        what exactly is wrong with fedora 40? i use it on multible computers and i can not find any reason to say they are not on track...

its likely that i will not unterstand you because i already can not unterstand you with nvidia hardware and of course i am on AMD hardware for a reason...

Comment

Fedora didnt change, redhat did,
          RHEL used to be direct fork of FC
          fedora began deviating enough from what redhat wanted them to do after FC28 that IBM streams was brought in to try and bridge the gap.
          There is obvious pressure to make FC40 closer to what IBM streams 10 wanted, but all that ends with FC41, what happens next is anyones guess.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/CentOS-Stream-10-Start
          Right. But, read these articles - all the way to the end and the 2nd one has some interesting comments following the article:
          With CentOS Stream now "tracking ahead" of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, where exactly does that leave Fedora, Red Hat's community Linux distro, and long-time RHEL test release?

After that, tell me that 'Fedora is safe.' I doubt it and not gonna invest the time to take that risk. I was gonna use Fedora - for a few programs that have support w/ Rocky Linux - hoping it would be close enough. Now, I don't see the point - ppl often say the program works in Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and even Manjaro - so, I'll try using one if not all of them first to see how it goes.

I wouldn't trust IBM & Red Hat as far as they can be thrown. Red Hat and IBM have implemented layoffs recently and I can see a day in which they want to pull investment $$ away from Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

what exactly is wrong with fedora 40? i use it on multible computers and i can not find any reason to say they are not on track...

its likely that i will not unterstand you because i already can not unterstand you with nvidia hardware and of course i am on AMD hardware for a reason...
            probably nothing.
            But I know what's wrong with FC39 - absolutely nothing.

Decision making for FC40 has clearly been influenced very strongly by RHEL10, all the decision making I have seen coming out of redhat since the IBM purchase hasnt just been insane, its been generally outright linux user hostile to make gates era microsofties blush.

takes a lot to justify fixing what isn't broken at the best of times, I'm giving this one a pass.

plus, there is still the dark cloud hanging over FC41, released in a few months, that they will follow RHEL and drop X11 completely, if that happens FC39 could well my last rpm centric linux distro.

So I'll see what the options are when FC39 is passed its best.

Comment

probably nothing.
              But I know what's wrong with FC39 - absolutely nothing.
              Decision making for FC40 has clearly been influenced very strongly by RHEL10, all the decision making I have seen coming out of redhat since the IBM purchase hasnt just been insane, its been generally outright linux user hostile to make gates era microsofties blush.
              takes a lot to justify fixing what isn't broken at the best of times, I'm giving this one a pass.
              plus, there is still the dark cloud hanging over FC41, released in a few months, that they will follow RHEL and drop X11 completely, if that happens FC39 could well my last rpm centric linux distro.
              So I'll see what the options are when FC39 is passed its best.
              so there is nothing but your paranoia makes it look like there is something.

also your thinking about x11 is highly irrational because desktop environments who are not yet on wayland will run in Xwayland Rootfull mode. you can then still use non-wayland desktop environments like cinnamon and it runs in Xwayland rootfull mode.

so your standpoint is really not rational at all.

to run non-wayland desktop environments in Xwayland Rootfull mode has many benefits for example higher security.

Comment

so there is nothing but your paranoia makes it look like there is something.

also your thinking about x11 is highly irrational because desktop environments who are not yet on wayland will run in Xwayland Rootfull mode. you can then still use non-wayland desktop environments like cinnamon and it runs in Xwayland rootfull mode.

so your standpoint is really not rational at all.

to run non-wayland desktop environments in Xwayland Rootfull mode has many benefits for example higher security.
                Its perfectly rational not to upgrade to FC40 when all it offers is a non zero probability of breaking stuff that works now and the only notable changes over FC39 are designed to make linux less user friendly.

Just because I could does not mean I should.

Comment

Its perfectly rational not to upgrade to FC40 when all it offers is a non zero probability of breaking stuff that works now and the only notable changes over FC39 are designed to make linux less user friendly.
                  Just because I could does not mean I should.
                  and what exactly is broken ? because i can not find it on my system.

Comment

and what exactly is broken ? because i can not find it on my system.
                    Once again.
                    Why should I find out?

Comment

Once again.
                      Why should I find out?
                      again you claim stuff that you plain and simple did not find out...

what a nonsense. i did directly update from fedora 39 to fedora 40 even at beta time and i had zero problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X