FESCo Approves The Fedora 41 Switch To DNF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    is there any reason to not use DNF5 in the (upcoming) fedora 40? I know it's not installed by default, but what features will I lose if i'll install and use it instead of its older version?
    Because next RHEL 10 will be checkouted from Fedora 40, and RedHat doesn't want to take risk on their most money-earnt product.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
      You mean if you don't sudo pip install? Yes pretty easy....
      Sudo pip won't break system packages due to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang..._sudo_pip_safe. Other distros do this too. So even this isn't enough.

Comment

is there any reason to not use DNF5 in the (upcoming) fedora 40? I know it's not installed by default, but what features will I lose if i'll install and use it instead of its older version?
        Doesn't look like anything major in the package manager itself. It was delayed because of lack of support in the installer and such but you likely won't notice anything missing.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

That I did not know. A package manager depending on Python... wow... brave
          Well, yes. I would borrow Tony Hoare's aphorism and say that the (scripting) language a package manager is written in ought to be as simple as possible, because "The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity." I would hesitate slightly to describe a Python dependency as 'of the utmost simplicity'. Then again POSIX compliant shells could not really be described as 'of the utmost simplicity' either. On the other hand, any Turing complete language can be made as baroque as the programmer allows, so much of the problem is the programmer, not the language. The choices the designer/programmer make will affect the suitability of the solution for its use-case. I'm sure anything using Python can be made to work, but hitching a cart-horse to an open-top Ferrari allows its use as a hay wain. It isn't necessarily optimal.

Comment

There are a few differences, and you can read about them here: https://dnf5.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changes.html
            It is still considered in testing however, so if you're comfortable with reporting issues/bugreports then by all means.
            Testing while in this stage helps to identify issues and get them resolved. DNF5 is a large complicated system, so
            while the developers try their best to resolve all the issues, there are some that may be missed.

I've been using DNF5 is F39.

Comment

There was also this part for the Phoronix article stating "due to the RHEL10 branching from Fedora 40", which made me think they want to stick with DNF4 for RHEL10 and therefore good to just wait until Fedora 41 to make the official switch.

I have been using DNF5 for a while. Pretty sure in 39 I just installed from the default repos, no Copr involved. It is fast (certainly compared to DNF4) and I have had no issues. I am by no means a DNF power-user, so there is that. But have been happy with it. Also, a previous DNF5 article had a video link posted somewhere with the DNF5 devs talking about it, its architecture, etc. and made sense to me to just move on.

I figured out how to do a clean install of Fedora installing systemd-boot vs. Grub using the "inst.sdboot" boot parameter (got broken in 40, but read fix was exempted to land on the final release ISO.) Now I am looking to understand Kickstarter files better, where I should be able to define my file system layout and force Btrfs on a minimal install (where otherwise it defaults to LVM+XFS vs. what it does for the Workstation install.)

I like Arch as well for this minimal stuff, but the development things I want to do (nothing hard core, but non the less) most likely could fall on RHEL infrastructure. Fedora just makes a lot of sense for this. Good times indeed!

Comment

does fedora, in their standard workstation version, offer easy rollbacks from grub on the btrfs filesystem? something like opensuse and ubuntu have (that last one on openzfs)? does it work with the dnf5, ie does it creates snapshots automatically (and, ideally, makes them available in grub)?

Comment

Working...
                X