Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CachyOS Making Use Of Plymouth For Better Boot Experience, Mitigates For XZ Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    The timing of finding the issue was basically pure luck by one awesome (Microsoft paid) developer. In a few weeks it would have been in Fedora 40 and the LTS Ubuntu 24.04 release. It also would have ended up in RHEL 10 had it it gone under the radar (and it easily could have). So I don't think fixed release or even LTS releases are magically invulnerable to supply chain attacks like this. On the other hand, having more users on the leading edge of new software gives you a much broader user base to find and report issues. I think Arch / Tumbleweed / Debian testing and unstable do good things for the broader ecosystem in this way. I wouldn't recommend any of these to a new user, but I'm glad they exist. I'm also glad the LTS type distros exist. One size doesn't fit all.
    you are right... but even if true that it was pure luck it proof that versioned distros with stable/LTS releases are more resistant to supply chain attacks

just see arch linux by pure luck they where not affected by this code but this case proof that in rolling release distros they just upload bad versions like this and everyone who update his system gets hit...

and yes Arch rolling and debian unstable and so one they all do important work but for production and real user cases ???... its insanity

but of course there are positive examples to Valve proof they can do Arch savely with their own versioning of their Steam deck images.

its pretty save to say that valve steam deck thanks to the image versioning would never be affected by a upload of a bad file into arch.

because it would never pass the quality checks and testing they do before they send new images to their steam decks.

the arch people really should copy some versioning from valve (just a good advice)
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

its pretty save to say that valve steam deck thanks to the image versioning would never be affected by a upload of a bad file into arch.

because it would never pass the quality checks and testing they do before they send new images to their steam decks.
      What bad file? As far as i know the package was "as designed as upstream wanted". And I dont see Arch here to blame. Valve pretty much would have pushed that to steamOS later on, just as everyone else.

Comment

We now provide a new refind partioning layout (seperate /boot and /boot/efi)
        ptr1337 I'm genuinely curious where from people learn this non-existing word seperate instead​ of separate. It's not in the book or dictionaries.

Code:
        rg 'seperate' -l --max-depth 4 / 2> /dev/null

/usr/include/Imath/PyImathFixedArray2D.h
        /usr/include/cddb/cddb_conn.h
        /usr/bin/parallel
        /usr/bin/ytfzf
        /usr/include/apr-1/apr_sdbm.h
        /usr/include/apr-1/apr_dbm.h
        /usr/share/openal/alsoftrc.sample
        /usr/include/rtc/av1rtppacketizer.hpp
        /usr/share/iana-etc/port-numbers.iana
        /usr/include/libdjvu/ddjvuapi.h
        /usr/include/twolame.h
        /usr/include/canberra.h
        /usr/include/OMX_Core.h
        /usr/include/musicbrainz5/mb5_c.h
        /usr/include/sasl/sasl.h
        /usr/include/x265.h
        /usr/include/yajl/yajl_parse.h
        What makes it such a consistently misspelled word?
        Any ideas from native speakers?

Quackdoc ssokolow (sorry for bothering)

Comment

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post

ptr1337 I'm genuinely curious where from people learn this non-existing word seperate instead​ of separate. It's not in the book or dictionaries.

Code:
          What makes it such a consistently misspelled word?
          Any ideas from native speakers?

Quackdoc ssokolow (sorry for bothering)
          For whatever reason, our intuition seems to think that "seperate" should be a valid word.

I think it's because we pronounce it as "sep-er-ate" when using it as a verb and "sep-rit" as an adjective. None of the rarer pronunciations I've ever run across match an "a" in that position, so people either consistently misspell it or intuit the "separate" spelling as being specific to the adjectival form.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For whatever reason, our intuition seems to think that "seperate" should be a valid word.

I think it's because we pronounce it as "sep-er-ate" when using it as a verb and "sep-rit" as an adjective. None of the rarer pronunciations I've ever run across match an "a" in that position, so people either consistently misspell it or intuit the "separate" spelling as being specific to the adjectival form.
            Thank you very much, especially for that Journey - Separate Ways songexample.

Comment

Working...
            X