Serpent OS Hopes To Ship Pre-Alpha ISOs In The Coming Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If Serpent OS fixes that layer issue, it's already better than Fedora's solution. If it's doing that with a packaging and building solution that's as simple as using a PKGBUILD and working with an Arch Linux system, that can make Serpent OS a major player in the distribution landscape.
    We already have NixOS though, COSMIC is also almost a thing
    Last edited by misuzu; 02 April 2024, 03:28 AM.

Comment

one of Fedora Silverblue's shortcomings is that atomic updates/the system is managed with a Base OS and then the user adds packages to layers. Whenever you go to update you have to remove/uninstall the layered packages, update the Base OS, and then reinstall the layered packages.
      Sadly I see no other way around this problem. I have played with other container-based/immutable distros, like BlendOS, Nitrux and VanillaOS and they all have the same problem, the dependencies are the problem! If ALL the base dependencies would implement mandatory backward compatibility, then it could be solved.

At the end of the day, the container thing works only if you accept to pack ALL the dependencies ( you could more or less reuse glibc ) with the program to run.

Even distros where the base system is moderately rich and not running into containers ( like Fedora Silverblue ) you have the obvious dependency problem. Updating the immutable image means introducing new versions of some dependencies and in turn it could crash the programs installed into layers. Flatpak solution is an abomination, I don't even want to start ranting about it.

Making a special sandbox to load a kernel module, mount a disk, and then export the disk/mount points out of the sandbox for the system to access is just pants on head dumb.
      As someone using containers I agree. It is the really ugly part of containers and other sandboxing technologies. I thought VanillaOS could have offered a better way ( considering it is made by the same people making distrobox and bottles ), but no.

​If Serpent OS fixes that layer issue, it's already better than Fedora's solution. If it's doing that with a packaging and building solution that's as simple as using a PKGBUILD and working with an Arch Linux system, that can make Serpent OS a major player in the distribution landscape.
      It would be great. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I don't have my hopes.

Comment

Anyone else noticed the hostname in the screenshots? Looks like Ikey still harbours some feelings towards Solus...

​

Comment

Originally posted by [deXter] View Post
          Anyone else noticed the hostname in the screenshots? Looks like Ikey still harbours some feelings towards Solus...​
          Ikey uses Solus as his daily driver and is still involved with Solus, including mentoring and filling in the blanks for the developers working on the Solus tooling.

People keep talking about Ikey abandoning Solus. Weirdly, I have not heard a lot of people ask themselves why that ended up being the result.

I know what happened because I was there during that time, helping and supporting Ikey as he navigated through an extremely difficult time in his personal life.

I will also point out that, after Ikey initiated and helped drive the resurrection of Solus after the outage last year, a fair few other old friends of the project returned and decided to stick around and help revitalise it.

That sort of begs the question of whether that confluence of events isn't a mere coincidence but rather a direct result of the changes in organisation and leadership style, including having Ikey back?

Food for thought if nothing else.
          Last edited by ermo; 02 April 2024, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by misuzu View Post

We already have NixOS though, COSMIC is also almost a thing
            NixOS is amazing and terrible all at the same time though. It's not a good fit for the ~80% of general computer users.

Comment

Working...
            X