Fedora 41 Will Try Again To Switch To DNF5 Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cend View Post
    How does CentOS Stream compare to Tumbleweed?
    Tumbleweed is rolling latest major versions of upstream software, while CentOS Stream is rolling minor patches of RHEL outdated* software.

*depends on package, a few packages are occasionally upgraded with major versions
    Last edited by Leinad; 29 March 2024, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Is it written in Rust? If not then they're going to need another migration to "rdnf" soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

It doesn’t. CentOS Stream is more like Leap.
        I don't know that Leap is a good analogy for it either, since crucially, Leap is *downstream* of the main enterprise product (being essentially "SLE Free Community Edition"), while CentOS Stream is *upstream* of the enterprise product.

IMO this matters primarily in that CentOS Stream is directly beneficial to the enterprise mission, while openSUSE Leap is a "nice donation to the community" but exists solely to the extent that volunteers are willing to contribute to development/packaging/maintenance of a point release distro.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          It's truly a curse when you can't read anything without seeing misused commas. When you're constantly thinking "Well that's unnecessary!" or "Why is that there?" you tend to lose the meaning of what is being discussed.
          You really are cursed. While unnecessary, most commas were correct. Native English speakers tend to omit "unnecessary but correct" commas.

I didn't check but to me it reads as if the writer is German. But, of course, this is a prejudice I have due to my own, first hand, experience.

In German we have a much more strict and much more complex sentence structure; so we use commas to separate subordinate clauses and nested sentences. Native English speakers use more conjunctions and "abuse" their, much more flexible, word order to convey meaning.

Honestly, if you want to lift your "curse", learn more languages.

Comment

I plan on using regular dnf as long as it's maintained. there really is zero value in dnf5 if you have python installed. I would have hoped that they would have addressed the slowness and memory usage of dnf but it doesn't really fix anything.

Comment

All I can say is that I am happy with openSUSE package manager, one of the best. Now flatpak is just adding extra layer of accessibility.

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post
                Resultat on the migration to dnf5: dnf
                It's an unfortunate choice for acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                  I plan on using regular dnf as long as it's maintained. there really is zero value in dnf5 if you have python installed. I would have hoped that they would have addressed the slowness and memory usage of dnf but it doesn't really fix anything.
                  That extremely weird. You said dnf5 has zero value to use over dnf if you have python installed but if that's your impression then there's also zero reason to use dnf over dnf5 just because you have python installed. DNF5 is significantly faster and since Gnome Software would be using the dnf5daemon back-end instead of packagekit, you won't be storing redundant metadata anymore.

Using an old version of something just because it has additional dependencies just doesn't make sense.

Speaker(s): Jaroslav Mracek; Pavla Kratochvílová; Jan KolárikThe future of software management is here with the upcoming DNF5 release. The talk will explain ...
                  Last edited by Myownfriend; 29 March 2024, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

When did you get appointed King of the English language?
                    Surprisingly English follows rules, otherwise rules easily not is understand to be meaning or whither graduation scale pointer shortilingly wonderbar to so as thee meaningically the people are.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post

You really are cursed. While unnecessary, most commas were correct. Native English speakers tend to omit "unnecessary but correct" commas.
                      While your last sentence is true, there are a few rules that just make reading easier.

The Oxford comma they use there, while correct, is generally unnecessary and frowned upon when not used for disambiguation.
                      In English, "while" is a subordinator: putting a comma before it is generally a mistake (and here it it).

At any rate, having now read the document in its entirety, the "comma" situation is making a mountain out of a molehill... however, I do agree that most sentences are convoluted. It's not that commas are a problem, it's that they seem to like extending sentences with bit and bobs, a bit like they had a thought, and they wanted to add on it, but never really committing to actually end the bloody sentence, when it should have been done before, which actually explains pretty well why they use subordinators with commas, like I am doing presently, because every time the sentence should end, a comma is used to extend it, so it's not really a subordinator problem or a comma problem, it's clearly a writing style problem, with information added when they pop into their mind, which is actually one of the major uses of the semicolon, which is what I should have used to start with.

Of course none of the sentences are nearly as convoluted as that, but it's the principle; semicolons, or starting a new sentence, would have been better structure-wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X