• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I never said that RH created it, I literally said:

Red Hat is the one that created it.

That means that these projects will not include anything that is not included in the official Red Hat release
    EL has become as close to a "standard" that Linux can get (think of EL as a LSB that should have been). Similar to back in the UNIX days when different companies would converge on supporting the most common one from a binary level (the industry really is going in circles in this regard). As such, it would make no sense to do a differing implementation to EL. It would be like violating POSIX or SUS.

However, the other distros don't need to wait for a release for RH's distro, they have access to the exact same beta integration scripts (even before RHEL makes an official release). It just takes time to replace things so not to infringe on branding.

(This is all really to hide the fact that the entirety of any Linux distro (EL or otherwise) is a random smattering of 3rd party code written by random people, jumbled up into a viable OS, for better or for worse).

Comment

The difference between Red Hat and any other Linux vendor is that Red Hat, along with Intel, and some other large companies, is a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation and contributes at least 500k a year to the development of the Linux kernel.
      This is in addition to all the code they have contributed over the years.
      Rocky has taken Red Hat's work and raised over 30 million dollars in just a few years from it and Alma has raised at least a million bucks a year from Red Hat's code.
      That is the difference, Red Hat and Intel are contributors to Linux, both in terms of code and cash, lot's of it, and Rocky, Alma, et al, are thieves that are effectively stealing millions of dollars from Red Hat per year.
      See the difference?
      If I did that the level of Linux knowledge would drop by about 54.3%.
      I can't do that to this forum, there needs to be at least one guy that is a neutral, non-partisan commentator that is fair and balanced.
      in the open-source/free-software field something like "thieves that are effectively stealing" does not exist.

something like "thieves that are effectively stealing" does only exist in your closed-source commercial world.

you are nothing but a hardcore troll.

"Rocky, Alma," these players do not steal anything from Red Hat and of course Red Hat did not steal anything from GNU or Linus...

sophisticles please delete your account you are clearly not here to share your opinion all you do is terrorize good citizens.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

The difference between Red Hat and any other Linux vendor is that Red Hat, along with Intel, and some other large companies, is a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation and contributes at least 500k a year to the development of the Linux kernel.

This is in addition to all the code they have contributed over the years.

Rocky has taken Red Hat's work and raised over 30 million dollars in just a few years from it and Alma has raised at least a million bucks a year from Red Hat's code.

That is the difference, Red Hat and Intel are contributors to Linux, both in terms of code and cash, lot's of it, and Rocky, Alma, et al, are thieves that are effectively stealing millions of dollars from Red Hat per year.

See the difference?

If I did that the level of Linux knowledge would drop by about 54.3%.

I can't do that to this forum, there needs to be at least one guy that is a neutral, non-partisan commentator that is fair and balanced.
        I hate to use that word and looked for an alternative. Can you please check the video and let me know how to call you?
        When someone is SO stupid that you have to tell them, choose the right word for the situation from this new English vocabulary lesson!__Improve your English ...

Comment

It is unfortunate that this forum has a number of people that seem to feel that only their view point is the valid one and can not respect another's right to express a viewpoint that is different from theirs.

I also think it's great that we have one user that is obviously insane and believes in wild, convoluted conspiracy theories and another that donated 20 Euros to KDE, is really proud of himself for having done so and has decided to spend time looking for YouTube videos that can be used for comedic effect.

I salute these individuals, you are what makes Phoronix the premiere Linux focused forum, your contributions are legion.

For everyone else, I will explain why i say Rocky, Alma, et all are stealing from Red Hat.

Technically they are not stealing source code, as has been pointed out most of the source code contained in Red Hat is GPL'd code and the terms allow others to use the code for their purposes.

Here's where it gets sticky.

As kpederson pointed out, Linux by it's nature: is a random smattering of 3rd party code written by random people, jumbled up into a viable OS, for better or for worse).

The reality is that most people do not have the technical know-how, the time or the motivation to put together a Linux distro from scratch, and i am not talking about using LFS as base. I'm talking about getting the kernel source, an init system, a boot loader, a shell, a DE, building them from source and combining them into a functioning OS.

This is difficult to do; Red Hat has been doing this since 1994, 30 years.

In that time they have contributed significant amounts of code, and money, to add functionality to various open source projects and they are a major financial contributor to the Linux Foundation.

They also built up a business, selling licenses to the software collection they put together into a cohesive platform.

Red Hat has followed the per seat and per core licensing practices of the Unix vendors that preceded them, HP, MS, Sun, pretty much any ISV that sells commercial grade software, and they also sell support contracts; just like MS, Ubuntu, Apple, HP, any of them, if you want you can buy a support contract from them and they will support any system you have.

Red Hat makes a lot of money for IBM and enterprise users of their software pay a lot for the software for instance a 16-Core Standard Red Hat Fuse 1 year license costs $28,800 dollars. There was another license which i can't find right now that cost nearly $3000 per vCore.

These costs add up to tens of millions of dollars in revenue that are generated for Red Hat.

Enter the Rocky and Alma people.

What these people say is we will take the source code to Red Hat's products, strip the trademarks from the, put our name on it and provide them for free.

In the process, they secured sponsorships from Red Hat customers, Rocky managed to get 26 million dollars in start ​up capital plus dozens of corporate sponsors and Alma managed to get dozens of corporate sponsors including one that gives them a million dollars a year.

This is money that would have been spent on Red Hat licenses, plus much more, but what these sponsors have effectively done is get Red Hat;s software without paying Red Hat's licensing fees.

Note that none of these sponsors gave money to a Debian or Arch based project or a Fedora based project, because they can already get those for free and they don't have the software stack that Red Hat created.

It's not about the GPL or open source, it's about money, Rocky and Alma and the rest steal Red Hat's business revenue, by taking Red Hat's software stack and providing it free of charge.

It's stealing, pure and simple.

Comment

It is unfortunate that this forum has a number of people that seem to feel that only their view point is the valid one and can not respect another's right to express a viewpoint that is different from theirs.
            I also think it's great that we have one user that is obviously insane and believes in wild, convoluted conspiracy theories and another that donated 20 Euros to KDE, is really proud of himself for having done so and has decided to spend time looking for YouTube videos that can be used for comedic effect.
            I salute these individuals, you are what makes Phoronix the premiere Linux focused forum, your contributions are legion.
            For everyone else, I will explain why i say Rocky, Alma, et all are stealing from Red Hat.
            Technically they are not stealing source code, as has been pointed out most of the source code contained in Red Hat is GPL'd code and the terms allow others to use the code for their purposes.
            Here's where it gets sticky.
            As kpederson pointed out, Linux by it's nature: is a random smattering of 3rd party code written by random people, jumbled up into a viable OS, for better or for worse).
            The reality is that most people do not have the technical know-how, the time or the motivation to put together a Linux distro from scratch, and i am not talking about using LFS as base. I'm talking about getting the kernel source, an init system, a boot loader, a shell, a DE, building them from source and combining them into a functioning OS.
            This is difficult to do; Red Hat has been doing this since 1994, 30 years.
            In that time they have contributed significant amounts of code, and money, to add functionality to various open source projects and they are a major financial contributor to the Linux Foundation.
            They also built up a business, selling licenses to the software collection they put together into a cohesive platform.
            Red Hat has followed the per seat and per core licensing practices of the Unix vendors that preceded them, HP, MS, Sun, pretty much any ISV that sells commercial grade software, and they also sell support contracts; just like MS, Ubuntu, Apple, HP, any of them, if you want you can buy a support contract from them and they will support any system you have.
            Red Hat makes a lot of money for IBM and enterprise users of their software pay a lot for the software for instance a 16-Core Standard Red Hat Fuse 1 year license costs $28,800 dollars. There was another license which i can't find right now that cost nearly $3000 per vCore.
            These costs add up to tens of millions of dollars in revenue that are generated for Red Hat.
            Enter the Rocky and Alma people.
            What these people say is we will take the source code to Red Hat's products, strip the trademarks from the, put our name on it and provide them for free.
            In the process, they secured sponsorships from Red Hat customers, Rocky managed to get 26 million dollars in start ​up capital plus dozens of corporate sponsors and Alma managed to get dozens of corporate sponsors including one that gives them a million dollars a year.
            This is money that would have been spent on Red Hat licenses, plus much more, but what these sponsors have effectively done is get Red Hat;s software without paying Red Hat's licensing fees.
            Note that none of these sponsors gave money to a Debian or Arch based project or a Fedora based project, because they can already get those for free and they don't have the software stack that Red Hat created.
            It's not about the GPL or open source, it's about money, Rocky and Alma and the rest steal Red Hat's business revenue, by taking Red Hat's software stack and providing it free of charge.
            It's stealing, pure and simple.
            you are clearly delusional ... who exactly is forcing you to use redhat linux or Rocky or Alma?
            i am on Fedora 40beta right now and everything works perfect and i do not pay money to Red-Hat or Rocky or Alma...
            i used debian for over 20 years and of course i did not pay money ro redhat or any other person at that time.

"It's not about the GPL or open source, it's about money,"

you clearly have a mental illness that you wrongfully believe everything need to be about money.

from your mental illness that everything need to be about money then of course Red Hat is the only relevant linux distro because they have the biggest money flow coming in... but well thats your delusional mental illness to believe that this is the only thing that matters or count.

well for a long time now you can buy a windows11/11 license for like 2,80€ per license so to use linux instead of windows from a money point of view makes no sense.

no one is forcing you in the linux world to get Red Hat's products you are free to go wherever you go

but it is clear that people go where they get the best service for their money.

if you pay money to Red Hat then only because they give you the best service for your money.

but its no big secret that many people go to collabora.com or suse linux instead to pay for the excellent service there.

both collabora.com and suse linux team work on upstream projects and work on fedora upstream if you pay them.

if you follow the news about redhat and you follow the marketshare numbers of suse linux then its clear that most red hat customers go to suse linux or pay collabora.com for upstream work.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you are clearly delusional ... who exactly is forcing you to use redhat linux or Rocky or Alma?
              i am on Fedora 40beta right now and everything works perfect and i do not pay money to Red-Hat or Rocky or Alma...
              i used debian for over 20 years and of course i did not pay money ro redhat or any other person at that time.

"It's not about the GPL or open source, it's about money,"

you clearly have a mental illness that you wrongfully believe everything need to be about money.

from your mental illness that everything need to be about money then of course Red Hat is the only relevant linux distro because they have the biggest money flow coming in... but well thats your delusional mental illness to believe that this is the only thing that matters or count.

well for a long time now you can buy a windows11/11 license for like 2,80€ per license so to use linux instead of windows from a money point of view makes no sense.

no one is forcing you in the linux world to get Red Hat's products you are free to go wherever you go

but it is clear that people go where they get the best service for their money.

if you pay money to Red Hat then only because they give you the best service for your money.

but its no big secret that many people go to collabora.com or suse linux instead to pay for the excellent service there.

both collabora.com and suse linux team work on upstream projects and work on fedora upstream if you pay them.

if you follow the news about redhat and you follow the marketshare numbers of suse linux then its clear that most red hat customers go to suse linux or pay collabora.com for upstream work.
              I agree but we should also consider the alternative realities of La-la Land.

Comment

Sigh.

I can't decide if I am entertained or appalled by the either willful or incidental misunderstanding of what I said, due to either low intelligence or substance abuse.

Or both.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                  I agree but we should also consider the alternative realities of La-la Land.
                  he clearly life in a alternative reality of la-la land...

but in his defence many people who go to normal school and after that to a university to study there how business works get brainwashed to believe this la-la land alternative reality.

this means he is clearly not alone. the question is really why school and university and also professional training why they all teach stuff that is clearly wrong and has the only purpose to brainwash these people into wrong believes.

Comment

Sigh.
                    I can't decide if I am entertained or appalled by the either willful or incidental misunderstanding of what I said, due to either low intelligence or substance abuse.
                    Or both.
                    you know there are scientifically studies who proof that linux users in average have much higher IQ/intelligence than windows or apple users right ?
                    just google it...

"substance abuse"

and you know that there are scientifically studies who proof that people who perform substance abuse in average have higher IQ/intelligence than the people who don't perform this task.

man sophisticles you are clearly out of luck here at the phoronix forum

i can tell you that you will not score any points here in this forum. your secret mission to hurt the open-source/free-software community and movement is futile

Comment

but in his defense many people who go to normal school and after that to a university to study there how business works get brainwashed to believe this la-la land alternative reality.
                      Sounds like someone is finally admitting that they went to an abnormal school.

Comment

Working...
                      X