No announcement yet.

Canonical Extends Ubuntu LTS Support To 12 Years For Ubuntu Pro Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu "LTS" without "Ubuntu Pro" subscription is not recommended for users (unless someone is willing to specifically avoid or maintain some frozen Ubuntu packages from the "Universe" repo with known security vulnerabilities (e.g., imagemagick or ffmpeg)).

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      for people who like unity untill 2028 they can have it supported
      Unity is still around https://ubuntuunity.org/posts/ubuntu...2310-released/

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        The brand new Fanuc robots installed in a place I worked for used Windows 98/XP as of 2020 on the controllers. There were/are no plans to upgrade since there really is no reason to. The robots aren't ever connected to the internet, and 98/XP allows them to run the controllers on the cheapest hardware available while charging $90k. The software used to program the robots hasn't been updated since the early 2000s.
        in my place of work we have a main computers replaced after 2006 flood, the 'new' ones are running some version of DOS on cyrix processors... the other machines run windows CE

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post
          Ubuntu "LTS" without "Ubuntu Pro" subscription is not recommended for users
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            Sorry but the myth of Linux being a developer friendly platform is just that, a myth, and it's evident in the quality of the apps produced.

Real developers use Windows, or Mac OS, or they fart around with Linux as a hobby.
            Whatever you're smoking, stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post
              Ubuntu "LTS" without "Ubuntu Pro" subscription is not recommended
              What?
              I can't recommend OS that provides packages with known security vulnerabilities.
              The "Universe" repo is enabled by default and user will eventually install some package with known vulnerability from there (e.g. "ImageMagick" , "jQuery UI", "OpenEXR"​, "Exo").

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                How exactly does this work, "Pro" customers have an account that they have to log into before they can connect to an update server?
                Most likely based on some key exchange mechanism.

For example having a customer portal that provides an SSL client certificate which is then checked every time apt uses HTTPs to connect to the Ubuntu Pro repository server.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Windows XP came out in 2001 and was receiving updates until 2019 because so many things depended on it. It's scary how many things like ATMs and POS systems ran XP and now run 7 instead of some Linux distribution or Windows 10/11. I wouldn't be too surprised if XP machines are still in existence. If it ain't broke don't fix it has its Pros and Cons. That's especially true when "ain't broke" means different things to IT and the CFO.

This is the distribution, operating system, version of what you were wondering about the Linux kernel the other day:

If you run a chain store, like fast food, gas stations, retail outlets, etc, then it's a lot easier for your software to just keep on keeping on than it is to install an upgraded distribution with new kernels that may or may not support your existing hardware. Every few weeks we read about something or other that the kernel developers depreciate. That means that upgrading Old Linux to New Linux isn't a guarantee that your older hardware will keep on working. Keeping the older software running as secure as possible until you have the time or money to upgrade the hardware in all your stores is a much more appealing option than having to upgrade your stores on Ubuntu's LTS time tables. It also prevents a lot of e waste.
                  we also have one or two places with heavily outdated OS. they are in an isolated state. so we can exchange data but no internet connection. One is an expensive scope which runs on Win7. Producer does not provide an update. The other one is a system which has some drivers for electromotors not sure if the company is still alive ..but we can only control it with an XP System.

Btw The forced Windows 10 updates do allways screw our system configs (labview) Dont get me wrong I always keep my PC updated and its fun for me but in this case I hate it...so gradually we move to Linux. We still keep it very new (Debian, Ububtu, or PopOS) but the upgrade process does not destroy the system config in such a way that it is unoperatable until touching knobs here an there.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

we also have one or two places with heavily outdated OS. they are in an isolated state. so we can exchange data but no internet connection. One is an expensive scope which runs on Win7. Producer does not provide an update. The other one is a system which has some drivers for electromotors not sure if the company is still alive ..but we can only control it with an XP System.

Btw The forced Windows 10 updates do allways screw our system configs (labview) Dont get me wrong I always keep my PC updated and its fun for me but in this case I hate it...so gradually we move to Linux. We still keep it very new (Debian, Ububtu, or PopOS) but the upgrade process does not destroy the system config in such a way that it is unoperatable until touching knobs here an there.
                    LOL. The other day some automatic Windows update made me think my mouse was messed up because my LED light changing button quit working. When I rebooted into Linux, it started working correctly. It turns out that Windows 10/11 has some feature called Dynamic Lighting and for whatever damn reason it decided to turn itself on the other day.

Now I wonder what other settings are turning themselves on and off .

Comment

Originally posted by gggeek View Post

I might be wrong, but I would not expect the burden of backporting fixes to increase significantly for such timespans as going from 10 to 12 years. It's not like Canonical will be working on updating apps versions or the desktop environment. A 10-y old kernel and set of apps is very stable, and the only backports happening will be those requested by the paying customers, ie. backporting drivers for new hw and security hardening measures for cases where someone has provably been shown to be vulnerable...
                      They are backporting fixes for critical and high (+some medium) severity security bugs of the entire main ubuntu repository + kernel(s). I don't know if they must have a report of someone using some package for it to be backported (maybe this is a reason for subscription-based service, your system phones home to tell what packages you use?)
                      Last edited by varikonniemi; 26 March 2024, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X