Canonical Extends Ubuntu LTS Support To 12 Years For Ubuntu Pro Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    At my workplace we have a PC with... Windows 2000. Like others said, if ain't broke, don't fix it, especially on machines that aren't connected to the internet. After working at this place that I can confirm that yes, Windows backwards compatibility is a big fat lie. I have a bunch of specialized software that will only work in the OS it was homologated and nothing else. So it is a case of "dance monkey, dance" to keep that stuff available for the end-users.
    Your experiences are different from mine, i worked in the medical field for decades, in hospitals and medical labs and in one of the labs we had a DB front end that was c coded in VB back in the 90's

That thing ran on every 32-bit version of Windows up to 7 and when we upgraded to Win 10 64-bit all it needed was to be slightly recorded so that it could be recompiled with a newer version of VB.

I have software i wrote back when i was in school the first time that still works, compare that with stuff that i wrote just a month ago on Kubuntu that refuses to work of Fedora KDE or Tumbleweed or Manjaro but works fine in Win 11.

Sorry but the myth of Linux being a developer friendly platform is just that, a myth, and it's evident in the quality of the apps produced.

Real developers use Windows, or Mac OS, or they fart around with Linux as a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      The brand new Fanuc robots installed in a place I worked for used Windows 98/XP as of 2020 on the controllers. There were/are no plans to upgrade since there really is no reason to. The robots aren't ever connected to the internet, and 98/XP allows them to run the controllers on the cheapest hardware available while charging $90k. The software used to program the robots hasn't been updated since the early 2000s.
      And one of the largest PR firms on the planet, PR Newswire, gave us a rpm for RHEL4.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
        I just need to know, what did Ultra ever do to you?

You chose a nickname "F Ultra", i don't think that's cool, he probably doesn't even know you.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

wow, looks much better than gnome3 in ubuntu 22.04. And has more features like global menu and HUD
          Everything looks better than Gnome3, the gnome i have on my lawn looks better than Gnome3.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            The brand new Fanuc robots installed in a place I worked for used Windows 98/XP as of 2020 on the controllers. There were/are no plans to upgrade since there really is no reason to. The robots aren't ever connected to the internet, and 98/XP allows them to run the controllers on the cheapest hardware available while charging $90k. The software used to program the robots hasn't been updated since the early 2000s.
            I've seen this evidence on failed POS retail systems, elevator (lift) displays and ATMs. Understandable....and increasingly worriesome.

Comment

Few things are as disturbing as seeing Visual Basic errors on ATM screens.

Another Irish motto: An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the Earth.

Comment

sophisticles is obviously trolling. Just ignore him.

As for the article itself - cool. Long term support release model and rolling release model are those which actually make most sense, so kudos for Canonical for their LTS commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                  sophisticles is obviously trolling. Just ignore him.

As for the article itself - cool. Long term support release model and rolling release model are those which actually make most sense, so kudos for Canonical for their LTS commitment.
                  If only they can deliver adequately. GKH has often "complained" about how gruesome the backporting process is, especially when you get to older versions that have had significant changes land since. This is why he changed kernel side LTS support to only 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cardpuncher View Post

Unity is actively developed. See https://unityd.org/
                    the unityx repository hasn't seen updates in years. unity is not alive and well.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

If only they can deliver adequately. GKH has often "complained" about how gruesome the backporting process is, especially when you get to older versions that have had significant changes land since. This is why he changed kernel side LTS support to only 2 years.
                      I might be wrong, but I would not expect the burden of backporting fixes to increase significantly for such timespans as going from 10 to 12 years. It's not like Canonical will be working on updating apps versions or the desktop environment. A 10-y old kernel and set of apps is very stable, and the only backports happening will be those requested by the paying customers, ie. backporting drivers for new hw and security hardening measures for cases where someone has provably been shown to be vulnerable...

Comment

Working...
                      X