Canonical Looking At Including Performance Tools In Ubuntu 24.04 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the topic at hand...

This is an odd collection of packages to bundle together. iproute2 is necessary for basic network troubleshooting, and I'm shocked it isn't already in the default install. If you need it, there's no guarantee you'll be able to use apt to install it.

On the other hand, while bpftrace is amazing elf magic, it's amazing elf magic that requires an entire lllvm toolchain and can't be used without reference to the elvish documentation (or extensive experience, I guess). It might be useful to ssh into a bunch of hosts and run bpftrace scripts on them, but in that kind of environment you can add it to your fleet's ​​​​base package list yourself. Does not belong in the default install.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
      sarmad, jabl

Words mean things, and "conspiracy" means multiple actors cooperating in secret, not "without the support of significant evidence".
      Good effort, but next time try reading comprehension 101 before lecturing. The conspiracy theory to which I'm referring is the notion that there is a cabal out there intent on destroying Linux by adding bloat and crap like systemd. Or if not outright destroying Linux, then making it a clone of "Winblow$" and forgetting its holy Unix roots. I'm not calling the belief about Michael's opinions a conspiracy theory by themselves.

Y'all need to stop reading so much written by people who watch MSNBC. It rots their brains, and the rot is mildly contagious.
      Oh, I don't know about that. Living on the other side of the planet I'm not really sure what kind of content written by MSNBC-watchers you think I should look out for; strange as it may sound I don't have a burning passion for US domestic politics and culture wars. But perhaps there's a worldwide conspiracy of MSNBC-watchers intent on "rotting" our brains?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
        Good effort, but next time try reading comprehension 101 before lecturing. The conspiracy theory to which I'm referring is the notion that there is a cabal out there intent on destroying Linux by adding bloat and crap like systemd. Or if not outright destroying Linux, then making it a clone of "Winblow$" and forgetting its holy Unix roots. I'm not calling the belief about Michael's opinions a conspiracy theory by themselves.
        Here is the text of Prough's post:

Michael Larabel being concerned about an extra 120mb for the download and an extra half GB on the install has got to be one of the most amusing things I've seen this year. I can't recall a bloated pig of a package he hasn't fallen in love with. I guess the fact that it's coming from Canonical and not from the beloved IBM is probably the bigger issue.
        Please point to the exact part where he alleges the existence of a cabal. I think you will find it exists only in your mind. (Unless you're talking about IBM, which... I guess, technically every company is a conspiracy, but that's not really the central example, and he said nothing about an intent to destroy Linux.)

Oh, I don't know about that. Living on the other side of the planet I'm not really sure what kind of content written by MSNBC-watchers you think I should look out for; strange as it may sound I don't have a burning passion for US domestic politics and culture wars. But perhaps there's a worldwide conspiracy of MSNBC-watchers intent on "rotting" our brains?
        I never said intent, did I? That word means something too, and it's not what you apparently think.

Your interest in US domestic politics doesn't matter. US politics are only relevant in that 1) a faction exists within US domestic politics that uses an ideological framework where the notion of "conspiracy theory" plays an outsized role, and 2) that faction is overrepresented in the set of Americans who produce media and internet content and interact with foreigners.

100% pure organic cultural transmission. No intent, no conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by stesmi View Post

The same justification can be said about any tool. CAD tools? Let's onboard more people there, or 3d printing tools? Some IDE? Or literally anything else?

The person writing the guide will most likely have said "Use this tool, and this is how you install it," or he should have anyway...
          To be clear, I agree with you in principle. I was/am trying to steel man their rationale. But I think your extention of the argument does not apply.

Since canonical are software engineers and what they provide is a Linux distribution, the closer analogy would be a car company sending with their cars a compression measuring thingy for people to stick in their engine cilinders. Canonical including a cad tool would be more related to the car company giving their users, idk, a printing press, saying they want to on-board people to the hobby of making books.

The good analogy in your post is the IDE, that fits in the steel man I gave. And I do believe some distros include some gtk creator thingy that is like an IDE, and Kate (or kwrite, or whatever the name is for kde editor) is getting more and more IDE features.

But I wholeheartedly agree, the number of drivers who will want to check their engine compression is a very small fraction of a percent. It does not make sense for canonical to include those tools. Especially when you consider the existence of projects like Ubuntu studio, that include the kitchen sink for a/v workflows.. They could just as easily have a "Ubuntu dev" with these tools and IDE and whatever else they themselves need preinstalled.

Coming to think of it, since their business is selling support, maybe the inclusion is so when they are in contact with their customers they can just ask them to run something and share logs, instead of having to ask them to install something and then share logs.

That would be another rationale steel man justification I can sort of reason about.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

but do you really think so? we are delirious...

Comment

Working...
            X