Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I didn't say 9/11 was an inside job.
    Indeed you didn't, but it's not an entirely unreasonable assumption either, as people who believe in one looney conspiracy theory often seem to believe in several of them.

I just stated the fact that Michael likes big bloated GNU/Linux packages, especially if they originate from anyone associated with IBM. Or that leaves their job with IBM and takes a job with Microsoft. Nothing controversial about that.
    This here being an example of a nutty, if ultimately pretty inconsequential, conspiracy theory.

Comment

I have to admit. the idea is tempting. Of course should be an optin option and as long as it is not used to collect userdata for personalised advertisment crap.
      Most phoronix users might agree that regular performance measuring is crucial to detect regressions early and its also nice to see that based on this a distro can be tuned quite heavily e.g. Clear Linux. A distro concept I do really love but at the same time it is not hasslefree (If you are lazy).
      This is OT: My dream distri would be the melange if ClearLinux+PopOS.
      Maybe one day someone will come up with some a cosmicde thirdparty repo for Clear Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Conspiracy? Wait what? [...]
        It's called a Ad-hominem attack. Name calling + bullying + ostracism designed to get you to shut up. This is 2nd grade level tactics.

We couldn't have people on Phoronix going around having "opinions" that cause nacicistic injuries now could we?

Cuz everyone knows everything you say is wrong, and everything I say is right.

Finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, ay ayy comrades.

Comment

I have to agree here, while nice for those that need it - I really don't see the point. As is pointed out, yes, those that care can install. I don't see the source for all packages being installed, yet there are in fact people that want it, and those can easily install it themselves.

Have them on the ISO? Absolutely.
          Make a meta-package for easy install? Great.
          Make an installer switch? I don't know.
          Install by default? What for?

There's so many things that -insert specialization here--engineer would want that shouldn't be installed either.

Comment

Nothing too mysterious really they are toying with v3 and v4 kernel options. It makes sense to be able to collect as much tuning data as possible across as many different configurations as possible. Fine tuning around a few selected systems with perfectly tuned hardware settings is not reflective of your average every day user.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              Nothing too mysterious really they are toying with v3 and v4 kernel options. It makes sense to be able to collect as much tuning data as possible across as many different configurations as possible. Fine tuning around a few selected systems with perfectly tuned hardware settings is not reflective of your average every day user.
              And how exactly does iproute2 help get tuning data for -v3 and -v4 kernels?

Apart from it already being installed by default (everywhere?).

Or ethtool? I've used it many times, but...

I don't have a problem with them being available, or the meta package, but your average joe doesn't care about them.
              Last edited by stesmi; 08 March 2024, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Considering Ubuntu was considering to drop LibreOffice at multiple points over the years (and in fact, I think the last time was just recently), plus many other applications, it's weird that they would want to now include profiling tools by default.
                Especially one I haven't even heard of. When I need to do system-wide profiling, I use oprof and related visualization tools.

It would be a different thing if the tools needed modified kernels to be shipped, but I don't think this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                  Considering Ubuntu was considering to drop LibreOffice at multiple points over the years (and in fact, I think the last time was just recently), plus many other applications, it's weird that they would want to now include profiling tools by default.
                  Especially one I haven't even heard of. When I need to do system-wide profiling, I use oprof and related visualization tools.

It would be a different thing if the tools needed modified kernels to be shipped, but I don't think this is the case.
                  I agree. And no, it wouldn't, because then would the install special kernels for everybody? They're not talking about development versions of Ubuntu 24.04, they're talking about the "real" LTS releases. They run their kernels, etc.

I can maybe see it being part of 23.10/24.10, whatever, but not 24.04 LTS, not as a first step anyway.

Comment

Next patch: add telemetry uploader package to base image to get all that performance metrics "for v3/v4 evaluation and optimization"?

Comment

Windoze wanna be

Comment

Working...
                      X