Fedora COSMIC Desktop Spin Being Considered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anux View Post
    This dude has nothing to do with the FLOSS movement, he is just here trolling and praising Microsoft and closed source.
    Yeah man, I'm a troll as is anyone that has an opinion that is contrary to yours and other Linux advocates.

It's not possible that i just see things differently than GPL zealots.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

On Wayland the compositor controls both output and input and can instantly choose not to distribute input events anymore.
      Wayland and X11 both use exactly the same input output, there is no difference there.
      libinput for keys/mice/touch etc

and a DRM graphics driver for the screen.

That's because this is only for compositors which want to delegate locking to some third party.
      Like a network based authentication system?
      i.e. all of them if they "want" to be used.
      Last edited by mSparks; 19 February 2024, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Oh, I didn't know that Daktyl198. It's awesome that they actually created built in tools for changing theme colors. I spent years off and on creating my custom blue theme for XFCE, first for GTK2, and then GTK3, and man was it ever a pain. And sooner or later I'm going to have to convert it to GTK4, which I'm certainly not looking forward to. But it's quite unique and beautiful, to me at least, and I can't imagine my workstation and media server desktop without it. Here's a picture: https://mega.nz/file/1f5SDBjC#jtMSXE...ka5UACHN3eU8C0
        i saw your theme and it does look a lot like win7/10 glass themes, which IMHO is the best windows ever managed to look like... win8 imho was a fiasco with excessive flattening of UI elements, which caused overlapped windows to be hard to distinguish from in-window UI segments, etc (it kind of regressed to win 3.11 graphical identity but even less border hinting, LOL)

given how much you talked about and emphasized colors in your theme, i think you might like Linux Mint Cinnamon with the new stronger accent color themes, though they're using accent colors in less places now (the "L"/legacy themes had softer colors but used those in more places)

at the very least you may be happier with Cinnamon than GNOME because theming isn't broken on purpose every so often, so worst case scenario you still have to make a custom theme but it should last longer and break less spetacularly

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
          Wayland and X11 both use exactly the same input output, there is no difference there.
          libinput for keys/mice/touch etc
          Sure, but I wasn't talking about libraries.

A Wayland compositor has the advantage of controlling input and output in the same process.
          There is no asynchronous communication that complicates things.

An X11 server implementation could have done the same, of course, but at least Xorg did not.

Like a network based authentication system?
          Why would that require to run the screen locker out of process?

On Linux implementation will likely delegate authentication to PAM, similar to how X11 screen lockers like xscreensaver do it.

Even if you would need to run the authentication out of process, for whatever reason, you would just do that.
          Not the locking, blanking and their reversal.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post

i saw your theme and it does look a lot like win7/10 glass themes, which IMHO is the best windows ever managed to look like... win8 imho was a fiasco with excessive flattening of UI elements, which caused overlapped windows to be hard to distinguish from in-window UI segments, etc (it kind of regressed to win 3.11 graphical identity but even less border hinting, LOL)

given how much you talked about and emphasized colors in your theme, i think you might like Linux Mint Cinnamon with the new stronger accent color themes, though they're using accent colors in less places now (the "L"/legacy themes had softer colors but used those in more places)

at the very least you may be happier with Cinnamon than GNOME because theming isn't broken on purpose every so often, so worst case scenario you still have to make a custom theme but it should last longer and break less spetacularly
            Thank you for the suggestions marlock, but I run Arch on my workstation and Manjaro on my media server and would never use anything other than XFCE because I like simple and efficient desktops, and don't like all the convolution and inefficiency other DEs impose. I'm glad Linux gives us so many choices though, because I understand other people like the more complex DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Yeah man, I'm a troll as is anyone that has an opinion that is contrary to yours and other Linux advocates.

It's not possible that i just see things differently than GPL zealots.
              If open source models give you a skin rash, stop checking (and commenting) on Phoronix. The entire site is dedicated to opensource.
              Nobody will change their philosophy because a troll keeps telling over and over that companies should go closed sourceā€¦

Comment

Sure, but I wasn't talking about libraries.

A Wayland compositor has the advantage of controlling input and output in the same process.
                There is no asynchronous communication that complicates things.
                Worked well for windows phone, what can go wrong.

Also, I don't believe you, surely that is down to whether the compositor was written by someone competent with writing software developed for consumer hardware released in the last 30 years or not

Why would that require to run the screen locker out of process?
                because performant IO requires that IO to be asynchronous, if you make the whole desktop pause every time you move the mouse users will complain a lot.

plus most linux software doesn't just run out of process, its often split over multiple machines.
                Last edited by mSparks; 19 February 2024, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Also, I don't believe you
                  You don't have to but I am not aware of any Wayland compositor that does not control both input and output.

because performant IO requires that IO to be asynchronous, if you make the whole desktop pause every time you move the mouse users will complain a lot.
                  Asynchronous doesn't mean out of process.
                  There are also event loop based asynchronous operations, multi-threading, co-routines, etc.

And since compositor implementing screen locking can easily handle authentication out of process, they can use any of those mechanisms as well if that first their technology stack.

No need to complicate things by running the whole locking out of process

Comment

Given other news where devs (re)developing things in Rust and commenting how fast it was to develop things into a useable state...

...i wonder how much time it would take to do the same thing with C (or whatever unholy mix of things a DE uses)

Too bad we can't navigate the multiverse to find a suitable control group Rust-less world and actually measure how much development time Rust saved in this instance

mmstick, could you share an insider perspective on this? Is it actually different using Rust? Is there anything that it just doesn't do, or doesn't do well enough yet?

Comment

You don't have to but I am not aware of any Wayland compositor that does not control both input and output.

Asynchronous doesn't mean out of process.
                      There are also event loop based asynchronous operations, multi-threading, co-routines, etc.

And since compositor implementing screen locking can easily handle authentication out of process, they can use any of those mechanisms as well if that first their technology stack.

No need to complicate things by running the whole locking out of process
                      I am not aware of any X11 server that does not control both input and output, what was your point?

Asynchronous means that things are not happening synchronously, X11 file servers and wayland system calls to create streams of bytes do exactly the same thing, with exactly the same libraries, there is nothing magical about using system calls instead of file handles that makes the job of locking a complex asynchronous desktop environment any easier, quite the opposite in fact, it is much easier to lock down a few file handles than it is to ensure a system call completed successfully and nothing else can call other system calls that break the locking mechanisms, qudos to system76 in that rust offers a lot more tools to do that than you get with C/C++, but this hand wavvy "wayland good, X11 bad" has been shown to be pure hyperbole time and again now.
                      Last edited by mSparks; 19 February 2024, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X