X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    Wayland and X11 both use exactly the same input output, there is no difference there.
    libinput for keys/mice/touch etc
    Sure, but I wasn't talking about libraries.

A Wayland compositor has the advantage of controlling input and output in the same process.
    There is no asynchronous communication that complicates things.

An X11 server implementation could have done the same, of course, but at least Xorg did not.

Like a network based authentication system?
    Why would that require to run the screen locker out of process?

On Linux implementation will likely delegate authentication to PAM, similar to how X11 screen lockers like xscreensaver do it.

Even if you would need to run the authentication out of process, for whatever reason, you would just do that.
    Not the locking, blanking and their reversal.

Leave a comment:

• marlock
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Oh, I didn't know that Daktyl198. It's awesome that they actually created built in tools for changing theme colors. I spent years off and on creating my custom blue theme for XFCE, first for GTK2, and then GTK3, and man was it ever a pain. And sooner or later I'm going to have to convert it to GTK4, which I'm certainly not looking forward to. But it's quite unique and beautiful, to me at least, and I can't imagine my workstation and media server desktop without it. Here's a picture: https://mega.nz/file/1f5SDBjC#jtMSXE...ka5UACHN3eU8C0
    i saw your theme and it does look a lot like win7/10 glass themes, which IMHO is the best windows ever managed to look like... win8 imho was a fiasco with excessive flattening of UI elements, which caused overlapped windows to be hard to distinguish from in-window UI segments, etc (it kind of regressed to win 3.11 graphical identity but even less border hinting, LOL)

given how much you talked about and emphasized colors in your theme, i think you might like Linux Mint Cinnamon with the new stronger accent color themes, though they're using accent colors in less places now (the "L"/legacy themes had softer colors but used those in more places)

at the very least you may be happier with Cinnamon than GNOME because theming isn't broken on purpose every so often, so worst case scenario you still have to make a custom theme but it should last longer and break less spetacularly

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

On Wayland the compositor controls both output and input and can instantly choose not to distribute input events anymore.
    Wayland and X11 both use exactly the same input output, there is no difference there.
    libinput for keys/mice/touch etc

and a DRM graphics driver for the screen.

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    That's because this is only for compositors which want to delegate locking to some third party.
    Like a network based authentication system?
    i.e. all of them if they "want" to be used.
    Last edited by mSparks; 19 February 2024, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    This dude has nothing to do with the FLOSS movement, he is just here trolling and praising Microsoft and closed source.
    Yeah man, I'm a troll as is anyone that has an opinion that is contrary to yours and other Linux advocates.

It's not possible that i just see things differently than GPL zealots.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by rafanelli View Post
    That I'd live long enough to witness people in the FLOSS movement endorsing a FLOSS project to go proprietary.
    The only think floss is good for is cleaning your teeth.

Leave a comment:

• anda_skoa
    replied
    He probably means screen lockers, and they are pretty hard to do
    for X11 there is XScreenlock, which is the most robust solution at the moment for any desktop
    The situation on X11 is much harder than what COSMIC is facing on Wayland.

The orchestration of several processes needed on X11 is hard to get right, for example is always risk of a lag between the decision to engage the screen lock and the locker acquiring the exclusive input.

On Wayland the compositor controls both output and input and can instantly choose not to distribute input events anymore.

It can also easily blank alll outputs, decide not to render any client surfaces anymore or create a full screen surface on each output for a screensaver (or multiple, e.g. one per output) to render into.

It can easily compose the unlock UI anywhere it wants without risking client content to show up.

for wayland, 15 years in and ext-session-lock-v1 is still only in staging with no implementation afaik.
    That's because this is only for compositors which want to delegate locking to some third party.
    So not the same level of priority as extensions that most, if not all, compositors are likely to implemenent

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by rafanelli View Post
    That I'd live long enough to witness people in the FLOSS movement endorsing a FLOSS project to go proprietary.
    This dude has nothing to do with the FLOSS movement, he is just here trolling and praising Microsoft and closed source.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    COSMIC + ClearLinux ..would be also very interessting.

Leave a comment:

• rafanelli
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

If any System76 people happen upon this thread, seriously consider not releasing COSMIC as open source, at least initially.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

yeah How I wish this was actually the case, even a single smaller commit can be a massive PITA to replace if it's in an older codebase.
    well, not sure any of the licencing stuff can be categorised as fun.

but if commits and specifications are managed properly from the start it should never be a problem.

hard or easy is still completely different than "not allowed" which was what I was disagreeing with, "smaller commits" also come very much into the realm of fair use, one small commit by a 3rd party that got reused over and over is never going to cause a licencing issue, chances are then that they copied it of stackexchange anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X