Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Prepares For openSUSE Leap 16 Next Year Based On ALP

Phoronix: openSUSE Prepares For openSUSE Leap 16 Next Year Based On ALP

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but openSUSE today reaffirmed that openSUSE Leap 16 will succeed the current Leap 15 series. OpenSUSE Leap 16 will be based on SUSE's Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP) codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise​
    Why? I think it actually is quite surprising considering the fact that until recently it wasn't even clear if it will be possible to create a desktop distro out of ALP. Also, there were numerous discussions with OpenSUSE maintainers about how OpenSUSE doesn't have enough devs/maintainers to create and maintain an LTS grade distro. Also, one of the reasons Slowroll was created is to satisfy the needs of Leap users (in case if there wouldn't have been a Leap successor), so that they'll at least have something more stable than Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Why? I think it actually is quite surprising considering the fact that until recently it wasn't even clear if it will be possible to create a desktop distro out of ALP. Also, there were numerous discussions with OpenSUSE maintainers about how OpenSUSE doesn't have enough devs/maintainers to create and maintain an LTS grade distro. Also, one of the reasons Slowroll was created is to satisfy the needs of Leap users (in case if there wouldn't have been a Leap successor), so that they'll at least have something more stable than Tumbleweed.
      I remember this too. I think it would be interesting to see an interview with the openSUSE leadership to hear how the decision was made, and what went into it.

Comment

Traditional Douglas DeMaio's article. Tons of filling buzzwords and no information in it... So, will it be desktop variant or not? Will it be mutable or immutable?

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
          Traditional Douglas DeMaio's article. Tons of filling buzzwords and no information in it... So, will it be desktop variant or not? Will it be mutable or immutable?
          Who knows? Redesigning their logo was the priority.

Comment

Actually, it does come as a surprise as the plan was replace Leap with Slowroll in June 2024: https://lowtechlinux.com/2023/10/01/...cing-slowroll/

Comment

This actually is pretty damn surprising if you've been following the discussions ever since ALP was first announced. Leap was effectively dead, with a "maybe someday some ALP based thing might replace it...maybe" non-commit. The messaging around all of this has been a disaster that made them look rudderless and did a lot of damage to the brand. Even this announcement is super vague, but I guess we are supposed to infer it will support desktop workstation use cases because of the parts about pulling in community packages. Richard Brown was also very against creating a Leap 15.7 release to tide things over until ALP was ready, but this announcement at least says they will do just that if they have to.

OpenSUSE offerings are excellent, but they (and SUSE) definitely need some more help in terms of product management, community engagement, etc.

I do hope this announcement doesn't kill off Slowroll. There was a lot of room between Leap and Tumbleweed. Now that it looks like Slowroll is getting a LTS tracking kernel option, it was going to be very interesting for some users (e.g. all the latest packages + tracking 6.1 / 6.6 + zfs + updates every month or two).
              Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 15 January 2024, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                This actually is pretty damn surprising if you've been following the discussions ever since ALP was first announced. Leap was effectively dead, with a "maybe someday some ALP based thing might replace it...maybe" non-commit.
                To be even more precise, the last thing I've recently read about ALP is that it will have at least a few variants: The main one, which will be the top priority, will be intended for containerised workloads (kinda like MicroOS nowadays). The other / one of the other variants will appear later, will be of lower priority and it will more resemble SLE. This is the variant on which the Leap replacement will be based and even then, it's unclear if the Leap replacement will target desktops from the beginning.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                I do hope this announcement doesn't kill off Slowroll. There was a lot of room between Leap and Tumbleweed. Now that it looks like Slowroll is getting a LTS tracking kernel option, it was going to be very interesting for some users (e.g. all the latest packages + tracking 6.1 / 6.6 + zfs + updates every month or two).
                Yeah, imo Slowroll + LTS kernel will probably be the perfect distro for me because it'll not be too old like fixed release distros while at the same time not too bleeding edge like regular rolling releases, so that you'll be able to avoid all the annoying upstream Linux regressions. Plus, it's still technically a rolling release so it'll have the advantage of minimising the risk of serious breakage with updates (like when upgrading to newer version of fixed release distros). It's like the best of all worlds.
                Last edited by user1; 15 January 2024, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I am looking forward to this one.

OpenSuse used to be a great offering but over the years it has become a brittle mess, it breaks at the drop of a hat.

Maybe this will finally fix their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    I am looking forward to this one.

OpenSuse used to be a great offering but over the years it has become a brittle mess, it breaks at the drop of a hat.

Maybe this will finally fix their problems.
                    What a crock of shit weak sauce troll. The OpenSUSE distros are probably the hardest to kill out there, simply due to the btrfs / snapper / grub integration that you get out of the box.

Comment

Working...
                    X