No announcement yet.

Fedora 40 Looks To Ship AMD ROCm 6 For End-To-End Open-Source GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 40 Looks To Ship AMD ROCm 6 For End-To-End Open-Source GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: Fedora 40 Looks To Ship AMD ROCm 6 For End-To-End Open-Source GPU Acceleration

Fedora 40 is looking at shipping the AMD ROCm 6.x GPU compute stack to offer "end-to-end open-source GPU acceleration" with ease for this Red Hat funded Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Playing around with AI and ROCm lately, I still haven't gotten it to work on CachyOS yet. The PKGBUILD for ollama at least doesn't seem to work with ROCm 5.7.1 when using dolphin-mixtral as the GPU load is next to 0%. There were some reported issues with ollama and ROCm 6 compatibility, too. It still seems that ROCm and its integration in several important AI tools needs more time to mature.

Comment

I really don't get why AMD opens up Rocm for every distribution. If they really want to compete with nvidia they should make installation as painless as possible

Comment

Red Hat funded
        RedHat doesn't fund anything. I wonder how long the tech press will try to continue this fiction that this is not IBM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

RedHat doesn't fund anything. I wonder how long the tech press will try to continue this fiction that this is not IBM.
          The "fiction" is promoted by the Fedora project itself

An innovative platform for hardware, clouds, and containers, built with love by you.

All the way at the bottom:

Fedora is sponsored by Red Hat.

Red Hat, Inc. is the primary sponsor for the Fedora Project. Red Hat provides the Fedora Project with a wide variety of resources, including full-time employee support, infrastructure, hardware and bandwidth, event funding, and legal counsel.
          It is possible that the Fedora people are full of shit, especially considering that they are supposed to be this major player in the open source, and specifically GPL, community and they engage in massive amounts of code obfuscation with their web sites source code.

If you right click and view the source code for Phoronix, you will find neat, clean, easy to follow code; if you do the same with Fedora's web site, or Mint's for that matter, you will see obfuscated gibberish.

In all fairness, i obfuscate my CSS and JS code but I am not a big proponent of open source software, I am a firm believer in proprietary software.

But i do find it ironic and hypocritical that projects that act like they are such GPL software champions try to hide their code.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            The "fiction" is promoted by the Fedora project itself
            An innovative platform for hardware, clouds, and containers, built with love by you.

All the way at the bottom:

It is possible that the Fedora people are full of shit, especially considering that they are supposed to be this major player in the open source, and specifically GPL, community and they engage in massive amounts of code obfuscation with their web sites source code.
            If you right click and view the source code for Phoronix, you will find neat, clean, easy to follow code; if you do the same with Fedora's web site, or Mint's for that matter, you will see obfuscated gibberish.
            In all fairness, i obfuscate my CSS and JS code but I am not a big proponent of open source software, I am a firm believer in proprietary software.
            But i do find it ironic and hypocritical that projects that act like they are such GPL software champions try to hide their code.
            "I am a firm believer in proprietary software."

i really wonder why there is no dislike button on the phoronix.com forum.

well for some time now many people can see that you have some kind of brain damage... of course you can not tell us what is the technicall benefit from proprietary software.

its the opposite days ago i did transfer​ my brothers DATEV/Nursing company workstation from windows 10 to windows 11 pro and we where surprised as hell how shit this is. windows 11 widgets everywhere and pushing Ad's everywhere whatever you do. unwanted functions everywhere.

the system is a peace of shit and runs like shit and if for whatever reason the system has not internet all these widgets who load Ad's from the internet become disfuntional and the system does not run as intended. as soon as the system has internet again it works again but Ad's everywhere.

so its impossible to run this windows11 pro without tools like W10Privacy to disable all this unwanted functionality,

and non-professionals can not use W10Privacy because they don't know what they need and what they don't need and can be disabled and uninstalled.

by the way W10Privacy is detected by the Windows Antivirus.scanner and microsoft windows claims it is malware.

but of course W10Privacy is not malware instead windows 11 is malware.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

i do find it ironic and hypocritical that projects that act like they are such GPL software champions try to hide their code.
              Except for the fact that the source code for their website is at https://gitlab.com/fedora/websites-a...a-websites-3.0

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Except for the fact that the source code for their website is at https://gitlab.com/fedora/websites-a...a-websites-3.0
                Did you bother looking through that mess?

Where is the html? Where is the css?

That page is a prime example of the hypocrisy of the open source movement.

"We believe in open source, we believe in the GPL, we reject proprietary, closed source crap!"

"All our source code is freely available, it is you can download, look at it and use it as you see fit."

"Just one minor detail, we have broken everything up into extremely small chunks that make it almost impossible to actually build or modify without breaking something."

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

"I am a firm believer in proprietary software."

i really wonder why there is no dislike button on the phoronix.com forum.

well for some time now many people can see that you have some kind of brain damage... of course you can not tell us what is the technicall benefit from proprietary software.

its the opposite days ago i did transfer​ my brothers DATEV/Nursing company workstation from windows 10 to windows 11 pro and we where surprised as hell how shit this is. windows 11 widgets everywhere and pushing Ad's everywhere whatever you do. unwanted functions everywhere.

the system is a peace of shit and runs like shit and if for whatever reason the system has not internet all these widgets who load Ad's from the internet become disfuntional and the system does not run as intended. as soon as the system has internet again it works again but Ad's everywhere.

so its impossible to run this windows11 pro without tools like W10Privacy to disable all this unwanted functionality,

and non-professionals can not use W10Privacy because they don't know what they need and what they don't need and can be disabled and uninstalled.

by the way W10Privacy is detected by the Windows Antivirus.scanner and microsoft windows claims it is malware.

but of course W10Privacy is not malware instead windows 11 is malware.
                  How exactly did your mental illness and Windows get into this discussion?

Comment

Did you bother looking through that mess?

Where is the html? Where is the css?
                    Dude, You asked for the source code and I linked to it. Just acknowledge that and move on. The CSS is in the repo and since it is a dynamic website, you don't have static HTML in the repo. If you want to, you can easily build that following the steps listed in the README. It is Javascript shit and I don't care for that either but it's not some special obfuscated proprietary thing, it's a standard Nuxt website template under a standard open source license.

Comment

Working...
                    X