Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nobara 39 Released - Customized Version Of Fedora Catering To Gamers/Enthusiasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a happy Gnome user [yes, despite what the trolls think, we do exist], but I totally understand why Nobara would pick KDE at this time. That said, the file-roller issue is quite a nothingburger, as Nautilus has inbuilt archive (ZIP, etc) support, and therefore file-roller is not considered a Gnome Core app. Even Ubuntu doesn't ship it out of the box anymore.

Would it be nice for it to be fixed? Of course. I use file-roller, so it certainly would be nice to see it fixed, but at the end of the day, it's a papercut affecting a non-core app, not a dealbreaker for 99.9% of people. Also, a WIP fix does exist, so hopefully this becomes a complete non-issue soon.

Also, any post with parentheses gives a 403 error when trying to post. fun.
    Last edited by QwertyChouskie; 28 December 2023, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

Maybe because the presentation time protocol not being implemented server side? https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-..._requests/4566
      That protocol isn't required for sustaining full frame rate. Firefox doesn't use it TTBOMK.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
        Is there any way to migrate from Fedora to Nobara? I have a large installation with tons of software and I'd feel sad if I had to throw it away...
        This is answered in his FAQ page, #7 specifically. Quickly put, no. Here's a quick copy/paste of the full answer:
        7. Can I upgrade from Fedora to Nobara using the Nobara repositories?
        – NO. This is a big large huge NO. The Nobara install ISOs have a ton of packages that get installed which are specific to Nobara, and not installed on Fedora on fresh install. When you try to upgrade from Fedora to Nobara by just using the Nobara repos none of those extra packages get installed. Additionally Nobara changes a lot of Fedora’s base packages and branding. Things WILL break. Fedora installations updated to Nobara using the Nobara repos are -NOT- supported. A clean installation is required.

Granted, you said "migrate", and the FAQ uses "upgrade", but for the purposes of what you're trying to do, I'd say the answer is identical.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

READ.THE.CHANGELOG.

Jebus people. It literally explains the reasons for all the choices made.
          I appreciate you pointing that out - I missed that section, obviously! Sounds like a fringe case usage though? I may be wrong on that. Moot point though, I ended up ditching Nobara and threw Kubuntu on that lappy. I don't understand the fascination with dark mode. It does come in handy, and it's not as bad as Garuda's implementation, but it just wasn't my thing. Something I like about Zorin is that you can auto-switch between light and dark mode depending on the time of day. That is ideal! But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

IIRC Fedora killed Modularity in F39, so there won't ever be modular repos past F38.

You should be able to disable the modular repos with dnf config-manager, or just edit the file for it in /etc/yum.repos.d and set enabled=0, or just move / nuke the offending repo file. Note, I haven't checked to see if major version upgrades in Nobara are supposed to work in the typical way or if they have their own scripting for it.
            I went for a new Nobara 39 KDE install - oh wat a f*ck up - to much hassle to get thing right - so i decided to go for a fresh new install of Fedora 39 Gnome + Extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              I don't think it's fair all the hate Gnome is getting in this thread.

Yes there are numerous issues and bugs that haven't been fixed years after they were brought to the Gnome projects attention, but in defense of the fine folks of the Gnome project allow me to point out that they have been spending a significant amount of time making sure that the right amount of indentations are being used by patch contributors so that the project is not being disrespected:

This document presents the preferred coding style for C programs in GNOME. While coding style is very much a matter of taste, in GNOME we favor a coding style that promotes consistency, readability...

We need to be realistic, you can't have everything, you can either have bug free code, with usable features or you can have the correct amount of indentations, but there just isn't enough time in the day to do both.

I for one think they have made the right decision by making sure everything in their code is visually aligned a certain way.

Just thinking about the possibility that in the interest if a bug free, fully functioning DE we may have ended up with code that had 7 or 9 indentations is enough to make me want to shit.
              Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with manic depression.
              When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Originally posted by SophTherapy View Post
                  Hello everybody,

That takes a lot of guts to admit publicly. No judgement here.

Comment

Originally posted by SquidHM3 View Post

That takes a lot of guts to admit publicly. No judgement here.
                    I know that linux community is full of understanding, unlike those corporate shills

Comment

Working...
                    X