Ubuntu Linux Evaluating x86-64-v3 Based Build - AVX & Newer Intel/AMD CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Evaluating x86-64-v3 Based Build - AVX & Newer Intel/AMD CPUs

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Evaluating x86-64-v3 Based Build - AVX & Newer Intel/AMD CPUs

Canonical is experimenting with x86_64 micro-architecture feature levels! They have produced an experimental build of Ubuntu Server using x86_64_v3 for requiring basically Intel and AMD CPUs with AVX capabilities. But they aren't yet committing to it as a default or when such a change may materialize...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let the 'breakage' commence.

I can just imagine the scripted response from Ubuntu Support, "You must upgrade your hardware for Ubuntu to work."

Gee, I wonder if prospective Ubuntu users will receive that message in a positive way?

Comment

Good luck with AVX2.

Comment

If only Intel didn't fracture the market with budget CPUs featuring worst feature flags! Pretty sure Jasper Lake CPUs don't feature AVX and they came out in what 2021? Yep checked and SSE4.2 is newest it supports! Heck I had a broadwell from 2017 that didn't support AES-NI!

Comment

If only all the people who complain about the lack of AVX2 made a better purchase decision back in the day! This will hopefully teach them a lesson to be a bit more forward-looking when it comes to hardware features and that the lack therof might matter a lot down the road. Buying on the low-end usually comes with faster value degradation over time due to rising software requirements.
          Last edited by ms178; 12 December 2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Intel absolutely destroyed any coherency to what products get what instructions and when.
            Also, their tendency to invent new sets then retiring them and just screwing bits around.
            x86_64 is such an epic mess because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Let the 'breakage' commence.

I can just imagine the scripted response from Ubuntu Support, "You must upgrade your hardware for Ubuntu to work."

Gee, I wonder if prospective Ubuntu users will receive that message in a positive way?
              And, if they do, I hope Debian enthusiasts are on the ball at the opportunity to promote it to people.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                If only all the people who complain about the lack of AVX2 made a better purchase decision back in the day! This will hopefully teach them a lesson to be a bit more forward-looking when it comes to hardware features and that the lack therof might matter a lot down the road. Buying on the low-end comes usually comes with such value degradation over time due to rising software requirements.
                You could also say, as a ISA owner, you don't shit where you eat.
                But that would be asking to much from Intel.

Comment

I wonder whether Ubuntu will switch to v3 exclusively or maintain two different mirrors. Since that is Canonical we are talking about I think it will be the former

Comment

Computers from before 2015 are still working very well and fast enough for general use. No need to throw them away.

Comment

Working...
                    X