Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post

[...]

LXQt is the resource friendly and user friendly pick nowadays. So having good Wayland support for LXQt is a big deal, as Wayland (besides being the future) has the potential to reduce resource usage even further.

[...]
    [ as long as Qt is maintained, free and its source code accessible (for community versions) and for users wanting to return back to Windows_only one could recommend Sway 'SirCmpwn's Wayland compositor​' (and keyboard navigation)

Qt: https://www.qt.io/download-open-source
    'The Qt framework is available under both open source and commercial licenses. This dual-licensing model is based on the principal of quid pro quo – roughly meaning “something for something.”

Simply put, this is how it works: In return for the value you receive from using Qt to create your application, you are expected to give back by contributing to Qt or buying Qt.' ]
    Last edited by back2未來; 11 December 2023, 09:45 AM. Reason: more details on Qt open source license

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
      Does anyone know here what compositor they plan to use? I don't see anything in the announcement. Maybe KWin or Mir?
      I don't know more than you, too, but if I would have to take a bet it would be on https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ubuntu-Mir-Miriway-2023 - I mean roughly a month between the two announcements, Miriway having config files for LXQT, Miriway beeing designed to run "other" desktops on Ubuntu and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
        LXQT, LXDE, Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon, Budgie, Unity, COSMIC, Enlightenment, Bodhi, CDE, NSCDE, thousands of window managers, ...

Do we really need more than KDE Plasma (for the general user), GNOME (for the Red Had employees), and IceWM (for ancient machines)?
        I'd quit using linux entirely if MATE gets lost because of the wayland business, KDE/Gnome? yeah may as well use windows or mac at that point.

Comment

Working...
        X