Raspberry Pi OS Improves Wayfire Rendering, Enhanced Raspberry Pi 5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Improves Wayfire Rendering, Enhanced Raspberry Pi 5 Support

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Improves Wayfire Rendering, Enhanced Raspberry Pi 5 Support

As a nice update ahead of the holidays, the Raspberry Pi folks have released Raspberry Pi OS 2023-12-05 as the first update to their Debian-based operating system since the official launch of the Raspberry Pi 5 back in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it keeps puzzling me why lxde was chosen over lxqt back in the day... and it still keeps puzzling me why don't they just jump to lxqt...

but then again... "nobody cares"!!! ehehe

Comment

I wonder how many Pi-specific out-of-tree patches were applied on top of that 6.1 kernel.

Comment

Why don't they use one of the two desktop environments that bring very good Wayland support (Gnome and KDE Plasma) and they just improve those to have good performance on the device?

Comment

Does anyone know about the state of hardware plane usage (also known as overlay planes, kms offloading)? AFAIK the Wayfire version used in RPiOS atm does not support using them yet - which is quite unfortunate given that the hardware apparently has very good support for it. I.e. is this expected to change in an upcoming Wayfire release - or still far out?

Comment

Working...
          X