Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lateo View Post

Unsure about that.
    TBH I'm experiencing a regression with gnome's popup dialog window to unlock encrypted volumes, the thing has not shown itself for a few months on a project using F37 (new kickstart based build every few weeks).
    The very exact same kickstart file was used to build a fine working system with early F37, and is working with F38 : it's just broken with the late F37.

Oh well, nobody did complain, and soon i'll switch the project to F38 or F39 anyway.
    That's unfortunate, but I still think cases like these are pretty rare and you get better overall stability when a certain Fedora release reaches a mature point after a few months. I'll give you 3 examples:

When it comes to Gnome, new Fedora versions are usually released with the initial new version of Gnome. The last few versions of Gnome were known to have some regressions in their initial version with XWayland, direct scanout for fullscreen apps and more. Around the time Gnome reaches its XX.5 point release, these regressions are mostly fixed. (Btw, Gnome receives further updates to newer point releases even after a new version of Fedora is released, so that means even more bug fixes).

When it comes to Mesa, there was recently a case when a certain update completely broke rendering in all Chromium based browsers. Around the time of a new Fedora release, the previous release reaches the last point release of a certain Mesa version, so that means maximum amount of bug fixes. For example, Fedora 38 will soon get Mesa 23.1.9. At least in my experience, the last point releases of Mesa are very stable and shouldn't have any serious regressions.

About 2 months ago, there was also a case when an ostree update broke Flatpaks on Fedora 38. AFAIK, components like ostree stop receiving updates around the time of a new Fedora release, so regressions like these shouldn't happen after that.
    Last edited by user1; 26 October 2023, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X