Fedora To Possibly Transition From Zlib To Zlib-NG For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
    The only breakage I found when I started using this library in ArchLinux was that the Python2 tests failed.

The library itself might be fine, but the package maintainers who replace zlib with zlib-ng should better take care to do this in the right way.

I have already had problems a week ago that I could no longer compile a couple of packages where the maintainers have replaced zlib with zlib-ng.

The reason was that both packages used cmake for building and cmake could not find zlib-ng, even if it was installed.

I strongly hate all the people who use cmake, because it is inferior to the traditional make, requiring much more boilerplate to be written for building any project and it very frequently causes problems like this, when cmake either expects that the package maintainer has provided a script for finding the libraries used as dependencies, or that the library maintainers write appropriate cmake scripts and install them in "/usr/lib/cmake", which the maintainers of zlib-ng have not done, and I do not expect them to do this, because it is not their job to do additional work for those who insist to use cmake without any good reason.

So anyone who replaces zlib with zlib-ng in some package, should better ensure that the package can still be compiled on other computers than their own, before committing such a change.

Comment

Working...
    X