OpenWrt 23.05 Released With Rust Package Support, MbedTLS Replaces WolfSSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWrt 23.05 Released With Rust Package Support, MbedTLS Replaces WolfSSL

Phoronix: OpenWrt 23.05 Released With Rust Package Support, MbedTLS Replaces WolfSSL

OpenWrt 23.05 has been released as the newest feature release for this embedded Linux distribution that is popular for use on networking devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. A programming syphilis is spreading.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
      LOL! this is becoming a meme rn

Comment

The buildroot style build system is just horrible. I tried compiling openwrt myself. It worked, but even a small change in any of the settings made it fail.

It's also funny that it contains stuff like tvheadend but no dvb drivers in the kernel.

Comment

I'm frankly surprised OpenWRT have enabled something that requires more than five bytes of on-disk storage, given how they're so pathologically obsessed with minimalism that the tools they ship aren't even fit for purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
            Obviously the most loved language in pretty much any survey for the past years is syphilis. Meanwhile, a 50+ years old language that only takes ~5 years to get good at and still can't match Rust wrt memory safety is the future (again, obviously).
            Isn't it just wonderful how some minds value things?

Comment

Whats all that hate about here? OpenWRT is great and the basis for multiple commercial routers.

Compiling OpenWRT is easy. I compile them myself for my 4 Access points from different vendors with 3 different hardware architectures. The build configuration is ok. I mostly use the same base config, but have two stripped down quite a bit, because they only have 8MB flash.

I'm just sad to see that my trusty old HomeHub 5A may not get any further official support. The xrx200 series was the only popular choice with integraded VDSL Modem. At least they have a new Fritz Box supported, giving hope that a new generation of DSL devices will be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                Whats all that hate about here? OpenWRT is great and the basis for multiple commercial routers.

Compiling OpenWRT is easy. I compile them myself for my 4 Access points from different vendors with 3 different hardware architectures. The build configuration is ok. I mostly use the same base config, but have two stripped down quite a bit, because they only have 8MB flash.

I'm just sad to see that my trusty old HomeHub 5A may not get any further official support. The xrx200 series was the only popular choice with integraded VDSL Modem. At least they have a new Fritz Box supported, giving hope that a new generation of DSL devices will be supported.
                Knee-jerk reaction from some when they read about Rust. Nothing really to do with OpenWRT.

Comment

Hm, I wonder how their Rust support works considering that rust usually uses quite a bit of flash.
                  I work with embedded linux devices and that's probably the biggest blocker we have for using rust more. Both the fact that different applications can't share shared libraries as well as that a lot of common libs like hyper or tokio is a big no-no as they are quite huge.

Comment

PSA: OpenWRT support 8-48 port rack mount switches now. FireBox M300 (4 cores, 8 threads NXP T2081 CPU, 4 GB ECC RAM) Zyxel XGS1250-12 (three 10GbE ports) ZyXEL GS1900, TP-Link TL-SG2452P and Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro ERPro-8 to name a few. x86 switches by WatchGuard (FireBox M370/470/570/670) is also can be used, just dd OpenWRT x86 to card inside box.

There is also other interesting high performance devices, such as Cavium CN7130-based Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 and 6P with SFP cages, or QNAP QHora-301W with two 10GbE ports.

Comment

Working...
                    X