No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed Adds systemd-boot Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it work with encrypted boot as opensuse sets it up?

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
      It's only a boot manager... The only things that might not be working (yet) are ones explicitly dependant on grub's scripts (they are few and with the bootloader specs, that grub supports too, adding sdboot support actually means supporting grub too, no duplicated work). Decryption happens in initramfs so it will work without doing anything special.
      Last edited by User42; 29 September 2023, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
        Yes it works with FDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          That's the final straw for me!
          I'm switching to Artix dinit
          So all year long on Phoronix I read nothing but people complaining about GRUB and raving about how fantastic systemd-boot is, and now that a distro adds support, it's not good? Please help me understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So all year long on Phoronix I read nothing but people complaining about GRUB and raving about how fantastic systemd-boot is, and now that a distro adds support, it's not good? Please help me understand.
            I was surprise as well. Considering how brittle Grub can be at times, I would love to see a more robust alternative being more widely adopted.

Comment

Clearly seemed to be a joke to me, though not a particularly funny one.

My feelings about systemd are mostly positive, but Linux communities do entirely too much circlejerking about people who are reluctant to jump onto this year's new hotness, IMO.

Comment

Does that help?

Comment

Systemd-boot is pretty good, but some people just complain whenever they read the word "systemd".

Comment

So all year long on Phoronix I read nothing but people complaining about GRUB
                    Certainly different people... And you are citing a person who can't distinguish adding and removing a feature. I am not sure it is that common to find people that confused.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post

It's only a boot manager... The only things that might not be working (yet) are ones explicitly dependant on grub's scripts (they are few and with the bootloader specs, that grub supports too, adding sdboot support actually means supporting grub too, no duplicated work). Decryption happens in initramfs so it will work without doing anything special.
                      No, the open suse setup is actually with encrypted /boot, so grub decrypts /boot BEFORE initramfs gets loaded. Hence my question if systemd boot works with that kind of setup.

Comment

Working...
                      X