Fedora Asahi Remix Coming For Fedora Linux On Apple Silicon Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Oh come on now. We all know what sophisticles is.

I would agree dismissive comments should 100% not be banned, or even ignored. Often times those kinds of posts are some of the most interesting because you see things through a different perspective and get new information you wouldn't have thought about before.

But misinformation, outright lying, name calling, and obvious attempts to stir up arguments based on false premises and trigger words aren't useful. They aren't interesting. And standing up to protect them doesn't help anyone.

There's a big difference between honest disagreements made in good faith and dishonest arguments made for sake of stirring people up, and it's honestly not difficult for people to tell the difference.
    I totally agree (except that I don't know what sophisticles is). I was most critical about the name calling back to sophisticles and the fake debunking of some of his points, as I went over.

This is our community and I appreciate that people are standing up to keep the conversation interesting and useful, but when they go around thinking their opinions about when and how to respond are the right thing for the community I have an obligation to note my disagreements in order to maintain the community as I see it.

I mean honestly, when you think about it, we're just lab rats in michael's experiment anyway. I think about that every time we get a new steam survey article.

Comment

Wow. This is such a great thread. So many nuanced viewpoints, elegantly expressed, and so much valuable insight from people who've actually used the software in question.

For me, I'm happy to have my M1 Mac Mini, because setting macos aside, it's a positive thing to have an easily acquired ARM machine that's performant, cool, and quiet. Having Linux as an on the metal option is nothing but more of a pro for me. I guess I am one of those pre-2003 greybeards in that I see hardware being slowly opened up and made useful for Linux as a good thing. Seems many others are hung up on where the hardware came from and the original intended purpose. It would have been hard to survive with that attitude in the era before anyone offered machines with Linux as a supported/official option. I had to rip Windows off of almost all my early Linux machines, or build them from parts myself.

Being able to go to a big box store, drop 1K$ US or less, and pick up a nearly ready-to-use machine that can run Linux quite decently (and improving all the time), while burning less than 60W peak, idling much lower, in a compact and attractive package? That's heavenly to me. I look forward to more from Asahi, and I hope they don't deprioritize their original ALARM base, just because they also have a Fedora overlay now.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        Time better spent for the devs not dealing with custom distro.

Wonder why no one from arch step up to help asahi devs.
        Probably because Arch Linux has nothing to do with any of this? Asahi is built as an overlay of ALARM, Arch Linux ARM, which is a completely different code base and organization. Maybe Arch main should partner up with ALARM. Maybe ALARM should partner up with Asahi. All of this is wildly out of scope for this discussion.

tl;dr: Asahi isn't getting "partnership" or "support" from ALARM because AFAIK they've never asked, and ALARM is chronically short on manpower. Maybe you should volunteer, and then reach out to Asahi? Or not.

Comment

Working...
        X