DNF5 Isn't Ready For Fedora 39 - Now Delayed To Fedora 41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

The concern is that with EL 10 expected to branch with F40 as the base that things could get complicated if dnf5 turns out to not truly be EL ready (including all the ancillary things that their enterprise customers have come to expect/demand) as if dnf5 does not land until F40 there may simply not have been sufficient testing to know about potential issues before that EL branching. There are ways to address at least some of that concern, but for now the dnf5 change for F39 is being reverted, and the Fedora project will have to see where the dnf5 team is at some future point as they continue their work. It is possible that dnf5 landing for F40 will be proposed (at which point the project gets to have another discussion).
    DNF5 wont make it for EL10 as it just aint Ready, it lacks what DNF4 has + the Developers are getting to thje point of getting Burnt out so it made sense to postpone it to F41, it still could make it for F40 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...7YIBLHJ52USAZ/ . DNF5 could make it into EL10 as a Tech Preview only where DNF4 will still be the default, EL11 will have DNF5 as Default with RPM6

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
      Pity, but why they don't make dnf5 coexists with dnf 4 as they did with yum?
      we did, and will. they coexist in F38 and they will in F39 too. the debate boils down to which one gets to be `/usr/bin/dnf`. with this Change reverted, for F39, `/usr/bin/dnf` will be DNF 4 and DNF 5 will be `/usr/bin/dnf5`, same as in F38 (and DNF 5 probably won't be installed by default, you'll have to do `dnf install dnf5`).

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

we did, and will. they coexist in F38 and they will in F39 too. the debate boils down to which one gets to be `/usr/bin/dnf`. with this Change reverted, for F39, `/usr/bin/dnf` will be DNF 4 and DNF 5 will be `/usr/bin/dnf5`, same as in F38 (and DNF 5 probably won't be installed by default, you'll have to do `dnf install dnf5`).
        DNF5 can still be installed by default, kinda like when DNF1 came out where YUM was still the default Package Manager

Comment

Every day I'm glad I left Fedora. DNF is horrible, and despite YouTuber hype, DNF5 isn't really that much better. I put up with it for too long, only after I switched I realised how much happier I am with a faster package manager even if I'm not constantly in/unin/reinstalling things every day. Never again having to deal with RPM Fusion and its packages constantly falling behind Fedora's and breaking shit is a nice bonus too

Comment

Dnf is basically a piece of shit technology compared to the speed of alpine/arch package managers. Just try them. It's pretty obvious the fedora developers have no idea how good the competition is.

Comment

nah. I way more prefer zypper than dnf.

Comment

So DNF5 might become available about the same time that SRPMs become freely available again?

Comment

Have anybody seen this - https://twitter.com/RedHat/status/1683828322315141120 - What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are RedHat morons on purpose or just... morons genuinely?

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                    Have anybody seen this - https://twitter.com/RedHat/status/1683828322315141120 - What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are RedHat morons on purpose or just... morons genuinely?
                    CentOS Linux is being eliminated, but CentOS Stream, which is basically the same thing is not. Centos Stream, is basically is basically like a stable linux distro but with updates that don't have pre-qa (like updates-testing on fedora).

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                      It is surprising that compatibility with the broader ecosystem wasn't fully tested (especially ansible, which redhat has significant investments in), but when the glue is just shell commands instead of a nice python wrapper, it's hard to know how people are using the tool.

The bigger problem for me, is that they haven't fixed the memory issue, doing a normal dnf5 upgrade shouldn't allocate 100's of mb of ram and trigger oom killer on the 1gb vms, but that's what happens today. I guess we'll have to wait for dnf6.
                      Could be worse, NixOS package manager can easily use several gigs of memory. This is considered "working as intended"
                      Issue description nix-env uses so much memory that it fails on allocation when querying packages; far more than should be for a simple package manager. Steps to reproduce On a system with 2gb or le...

Comment

Working...
                      X