Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 9-rc1 Now Available For This Long-Delayed Release

Phoronix: Mageia 9-rc1 Now Available For This Long-Delayed Release

The release candidate for Mageia 9 is now available for this Linux distribution that's an offshoot long ago from Mandrake/Mandriva lineage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mandrake was my first distro, so it will always have a special place in my memories, but I don't get the purpose of this distro?

In the Red Hat-sphere of distros, you have SUSE, Fedora, CentOS, all the RHEL clones etc. I don't quite understand why you would use this over them.

Comment

Does Mageia 9 support running binaries of the x32 ABI ( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_(ABI) )?
      Or is there a kernel.config online so that I can check the selected features myself?

Comment

Michael

Typo / unclear tense and wording

"Mageia 9 development is running around a half-year behind schedule with much of the release activities were originally expected to wrap up by the end of 2022."

Maybe

"Mageia 9 development is running around a half-year behind schedule with much of the release activities originally expected to wrap up by the end of 2022."​ (just delete the word "were")

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Mandrake was my first distro, so it will always have a special place in my memories, but I don't get the purpose of this distro?

In the Red Hat-sphere of distros, you have SUSE, Fedora, CentOS, all the RHEL clones etc. I don't quite understand why you would use this over them.
          SuSE is actually not RHEL clone. They develop on their own.

Comment

The point, I think, is to have an alternative to openSUSE/Fedora, which are the 2 big community-driven RPM distros. I switched to Mageia a bit over a year ago, coming from openSUSE, and I can say it has been a very polished and pleasant experience. It's very close to openSUSE and it even has a "YaST" called MCC (Mageia Control Center)

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

SuSE is actually not RHEL clone. They develop on their own.
              I didn't list it as a RHEL clone. But its often considered part of the "RPM" family of operating systems, third party packages made for Fedora are often also built for openSUSE.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised these guys didn't jump on the bandwagon and say that they will be releasing a bit-for-bit RHEL clone as well.

Comment

Mageia has long offered lots of desktops as part of the initial install, with style as consistent as possible across all of them. Package dependencies are managed unobtrusively in the background. Most things can be done via graphical utilities. There is a huge range of apps available - if you come across something you've not heard of in the media there is a moderately good chance it will be there already. (I use opencpn boating navigation and foxtrotgps on land - just works)
                  They are at kernel 6.4 and mesa 23.1 currently.

Comment

I'd say it's a middle ground between Debian Stable (less strict to updates) and openSUSE Leap (doesn't depend on corporate decisions (e.g. ALP)).

Comment

Working...
                    X