Debian 13 "Trixie" Aiming To Ship With RISC-V 64-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    Debian has a monstrously large number of packages and they actually test them for compatibility and Stability.
    The way that is worded is very disingenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

The way that is worded is very disingenuous.
      You can read minds now? Debian has one of the largest collections of packages of all the distributions (Currently, there are 68980 packages available for the amd64 architecture.​) and they test them for stability and compatibility across architectures. e.g Most of the collection is on ARM/PPC/X86_64/RISC-V It's also my desktop distribution and has been for 15 years now because of those reasons. I've run other distributions like Gentoo and Ubuntu etc. But Debian is the distribution I always come back to because they test across architectures, it has a massive package library and they aim it at stability. apt-get dist upgrade almost always works without issue for me and apt has easily been the best/most stable package management system I've used. Debian releases are not meant to be super up-to date. They're meant to be stable.
      Last edited by DMJC; 12 June 2023, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        Guess that explains why T2 Linux has so many new users ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg
        Perhaps I'm alone in this, but you showing up to market your distro by peeing on others doesn't really inspire me to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          and again with a smartphone that was never fully supported because no one addressed bugs in the cryptographic hardware drivers (and probably couldn't) in Lineage. That's when I figured out Android as an open source initiative was always going to be more potential rather than reality (yes I know, blame Qualcomm and MediaTek and I do, but i also blame Google).
          The only at fault here are the device manufacturer and maybe you for not checking on lineage device support before purchasing the device. All lineage and aosp derivative Android roms are almost entirely built and supported by device owners. You can't buy a brand new and/or esoteric device and expect it to magically work.

If you have supported hardware it runs like a dream. I'm typing this on a oneplus 9 pro running crdroid (a lineage derivative). Everything runs great. Next to zero issues. Any minor thing that crops up is always fixed in a future weekly OTA update.

Comment

This new board looks very usable, but they haven't revealed the price yet. I'm afraid it may be quite pricey since they use 64 core CPU.
            A 64-core, RISC-V motherboard and workstation for native development

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              For RISC-V to succeed in the general market it needs a complete system {...} It needs a phone, tablet, server, general purpose (desktop-like) system, or a general shift of IoT set-top box OEMs from ARM to RISC-V.
              And right on cue, Pine64 is shipping their PineTab 2 with either an ARM (Rockchip 3566) or with a RSIC-V (JH7110). Right now it's (again) out of stock, but should be available soon~ish in the next batch (can't manage to find the link to their latest "stock availability" page).
              So there are "normal" (non geek) devices that the devs such as the Debian on RISC-V team can try to target.
              And down the line, once the software side is in better shape, it will mean that there will be RISC-V tablets that enthusiasts could be (next year ?)

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
              All lineage and aosp derivative Android roms are almost entirely built and supported by device owners. You can't buy a brand new and/or esoteric device and expect it to magically work.
              Except for a few manufacturer who spent the extra effort to make sure that AOSP can work out of the box.
              - Fairphone is a widely known such manufacturer.
              - Sony has also an "OpenDevice" program making various blobs available (and helping unlock the boot loader) to simplify flashing AOSP (and also supporting "full blown GNU/Linux over Android drivers via liubhybris" such as Jolla's SailfishOS, and I think UB Touch)

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

And right on cue, Pine64 is shipping their PineTab 2 with either an ARM (Rockchip 3566) or with a RSIC-V (JH7110). Right now it's (again) out of stock, but should be available soon~ish in the next batch (can't manage to find the link to their latest "stock availability" page).
                So there are "normal" (non geek) devices that the devs such as the Debian on RISC-V team can try to target.
                And down the line, once the software side is in better shape, it will mean that there will be RISC-V tablets that enthusiasts could be (next year ?)

Except for a few manufacturer who spent the extra effort to make sure that AOSP can work out of the box.
                - Fairphone is a widely known such manufacturer.
                - Sony has also an "OpenDevice" program making various blobs available (and helping unlock the boot loader) to simplify flashing AOSP (and also supporting "full blown GNU/Linux over Android drivers via liubhybris" such as Jolla's SailfishOS, and I think UB Touch)
                im surprised by how affordable the riscv version will be, highly tempted to pick one up since im interested in the soc, but having no gpu drivers will be a pain, hopefully PVR can get some more contributors

Comment

Working...
                X