Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Details Initial Plans For Immutable Linux Desktop With Ubuntu Core & Snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm a big believer of security via obscurity ...
    I knew you are one of the last Win 3.11 users ;P

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The use case of packaging system services and drivers. Is that something that can be done with Flatpak? I haven't seen any command line app packaged as Flatpak, let alone system services or drivers.
    CLI-Apps are possible. It just sucks to work with them later on, because you basically run them via

Code:
    flatpak run org.example.cli
    System services, udev rules and drivers - the system management stuff, is not possible as this would require native running parts that hook into the real operating system, while flatpak can only run inside a sandbox.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by futuretim View Post

I'm skeptical that's true. I don't know of use cases that aren't covered by other packages. Can you elaborate?
    The use case of packaging system services and drivers. Is that something that can be done with Flatpak? I haven't seen any command line app packaged as Flatpak, let alone system services or drivers.

Leave a comment:

• futuretim
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Maybe now is the time to revive that project. I bet more people will be interested now since snaps now appear to cover use cases that aren't covered by other package formats.
    I'm skeptical that's true. I don't know of use cases that aren't covered by other packages. Can you elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• jstoik
    replied
    For tinkerers, the classic Ubuntu images would remain their preferred route…
    Aww. I was getting worried they had forgotten about me.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by futuretim View Post
    I worked on an Ubuntu Core system for a long time migrating from a classic system. It's not without its faults but I generally liked it. However I think as long as there is no way to manage multiple "stores" a.k.a. repos like Flatpak then it's basically DOA. The community doesn't want to invest in a technology that is in essence controlled and dictated by Canonical. I know, it's open source and anyone can do what they want and in fact I headed down that route with an open-source store implementation but the interest in that was a deafening silence. That surprised me a little bit in retrospect I get it because I gave up on it too because why bother when Flatpak exists?
    Maybe now is the time to revive that project. I bet more people will be interested now since snaps now appear to cover use cases that aren't covered by other package formats.

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I don't care much for an immutable OS but would love to see the PDF reader, email client and media player packaged as Snap and sandboxed.
    Flathub has you overed for all 3 cases already.

Leave a comment:

• futuretim
    replied
    I worked on an Ubuntu Core system for a long time migrating from a classic system. It's not without its faults but I generally liked it. However I think as long as there is no way to manage multiple "stores" a.k.a. repos like Flatpak then it's basically DOA. The community doesn't want to invest in a technology that is in essence controlled and dictated by Canonical. I know, it's open source and anyone can do what they want and in fact I headed down that route with an open-source store implementation but the interest in that was a deafening silence. That surprised me a little bit in retrospect I get it because I gave up on it too because why bother when Flatpak exists?

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    The most secure environment is one where it takes so long to boot the applications that anyone performing a targeted attack simply gets bored and gives up.

Leave a comment:

• Malsabku
    replied
    I like the snap technology, but what bugs me is that many desktop snaps are outdated and badly maintained. e.g. Gimp is still in version 2.30, now we are at Gimp 2.34. Gnome Boxes has version 42.0, while we are now at version 44.2. The GTK3 Gimp 3.0 beta snap (preview/edge, 2.99.10) even does not work, it does not start, and is also outdated.

If Canonical invested more in Snap maintenance, it would do the whole Snap technology good.

Greetings from an otherwise happy Ubuntu 22.04 LTS user who also uses Snaps.​
    Last edited by Malsabku; 01 June 2023, 05:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X