Arch Linux Prepares For Repository Changes, Discontinuing SVN Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    SVN is slowly going to go the way CVS went. Arch Linux is the next relatively big player to migrate away from it.
    I remember tagging packages with CURRENT tag in CVS. Tag it in the wrong directory and everything was f*cked. SVN was a big improvement those days.

Comment

For distro calling itself bleeding edge arch adopts new technologies too slow. This svn -> git switch, python 3.11 arrival, x86_64_v2/v3 that others already adopted for example fedora, opensuse, cachyos which is based on arch itself.

IMHO arch should be bleeding edge. At least offer x86_64 and x86_64_v3 so that bleeding edge software can take advantage of bleeding edge hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
        For distro calling itself bleeding edge arch adopts new technologies too slow. This svn -> git switch, python 3.11 arrival, x86_64_v2/v3 that others already adopted for example fedora, opensuse, cachyos which is based on arch itself.

IMHO arch should be bleeding edge. At least offer x86_64 and x86_64_v3 so that bleeding edge software can take advantage of bleeding edge hardware.
        I used to think this, but in hindsight Python 3.11 was extremely difficult because Arch unifies Python across the distro. Its not like Ubuntu where different packages will all use different Python versions (which creates significant complications).

Not sure about v3. Maybe there are some stoppers there, but IDK what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
          Gentoo never looked so good.
          If you like wasting your time/resources, yeah sure

Comment

Originally posted by JGC_ View Post

I remember tagging packages with CURRENT tag in CVS. Tag it in the wrong directory and everything was f*cked. SVN was a big improvement those days.
            I don't remember CVS, but SVN didn't even have tags. It had copies. Tag was a copy of the main branch where you could commit (thus change the content of the "tag") at will.
            Both of them made our lives easier in their time and I thank them for that. But the world has moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post

Arch stopped being bleeding edge a couple of years after Antergos stopped. These days Arch is more like Debian on steroids. I'll still like the simplicity, performance and the snap+flatpak free environment. Hard to find anywhere else...

Comment

Nice! Gotta remember to update my pacman conf..

Comment

RIP asp, you will be aliased.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't remember CVS, but SVN didn't even have tags. It had copies. Tag was a copy of the main branch where you could commit (thus change the content of the "tag") at will.
                    Both of them made our lives easier in their time and I thank them for that. But the world has moved on.
                    I'm one of the guys that worked on Archlinux since the beginning. Started as dev in 2004. We had CVS back in those days. Core was called Current. Community and AUR didn't exist and what we call AUR now used to be an open FTP server where people could upload PKGBUILDs and even packages.
                    I remember switching from CVS to SVN. It made our work so much easier, faster and somewhat fool proof. But the amount of commits that it generates by copying stuff around is huge.

I haven't touched Arch for a few years now, so I don't know what the git process will be now, but I guess the gitlab integration, pull requests, etc will make it easier for people to contribute. Flyspray has been with Arch since the start, time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                      Says the person running Arch, where binaries are compiled with -march=x86-64.
                      Is this supposed to be a gotcha? I used gentoo as my daily driver for 5 years so you can keep the snake oil to yourself. It's a pointless gimmick/waste of time to compile everything from scratch and I already compile the few programs that might benefit from optimizations such as ffmpeg myself. Enjoy wasting your time maintaining your install, I guess.
                      Last edited by osw89; 16 May 2023, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X