Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Looks To dhcpcd5 For Replacing ISC DHCP Client

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Looks To dhcpcd5 For Replacing ISC DHCP Client

The ISC DHCP software was marked end-of-life at the end of 2022 and thus Ubuntu Linux developers have been deciding on a new isc-dhcp-client package replacement to use by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm more interested in what to use to replace my isc-dhcpd-server with. I like having load balancing and fault tolerance withtout having to have out of band process and machine uptime monitors. ISC was great because it did all of that in the daemon automatically and it was pretty easy to configure.

I do not look forward to learning a new config syntax--especially if it's not simple text based. XML might as well be a binary blob for as editable as it is. Might as well hand generate an ASN.1 bitstream.

Comment

Interesting.

Any idea what the other big distros are planning to do wrt the ISC dhcp client?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        I'm more interested in what to use to replace my isc-dhcpd-server with. I like having load balancing and fault tolerance withtout having to have out of band process and machine uptime monitors. ISC was great because it did all of that in the daemon automatically and it was pretty easy to configure.

I do not look forward to learning a new config syntax--especially if it's not simple text based. XML might as well be a binary blob for as editable as it is. Might as well hand generate an ASN.1 bitstream.
        Right, there aren't many good options for large DHCP servers. Dnsmasq is fine for home use or small businesses, but not when you're dealing with things like load balancing and multiple subnets. Just recently I upgraded a couple of DHCP servers and I started to consider switching to Kea, but decided that at this point it would not really be worth the hassle. Some of its more interesting features are paid features anyway. I'll hold off a few more years and see what the options are then.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

I've been using kea for years. You can set it up with multiple instances on the same network with either a shared or replicated database.

The config file is json and isn't too bad. The example config shows all of the basic things it can do.

Comment

While I understand that occasionally we need new versions of things... These aren't tools I use often. It's going to be a pain the next time I need to do some network configs and everything has moved around (again)!

Comment

Working...
            X