No announcement yet.

Fedora Onyx Aims To Be A New Fedora Linux Immutable Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just call it "fedora silverblue spin", stuff like "kinoite" harms fedora branding. People just refer it that without mentioning fedora.

I want to say the same thing to onyx, but I can't find the official page with keyword "onyx" alone in ddg, it has to be "fedora onyx", while "kinoite" is enough.

We are already know that many people don't understand word "immutable" and now we have to deal with this many confusing name???

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

It never matters what DE you use for the userspace tools. The package manager installs whatever requisites are needed when a tool is installed. There are two major application UI development toolkits QT and GTK. The appropriate requisites will be pulled in. Just because a given DE uses a toolkit, doesn't mean that toolkit is tied to the DE.
      It may not matter to you. Don't assume it doesn't matter to everyone else. Most of the tools that a distro team works on, outside of the CLI ones, are going to to be tied to the DE for UX consistency. Even if they're using GTK or QT, they'll still pull in the DE specific stuff for the front end style consistency. Yes, you can cherry pick examples to meet your criteria, but you know what I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        It may not matter to you. Don't assume it doesn't matter to everyone else. Most of the tools that a distro team works on, outside of the CLI ones, are going to to be tied to the DE for UX consistency. Even if they're using GTK or QT, they'll still pull in the DE specific stuff for the front end style consistency. Yes, you can cherry pick examples to meet your criteria, but you know what I don't care.
        This is why some months ago I asked about what files are used be Fedora for configuring installations, found out what I wanted to learn more about is Kickstarter files. I may be being simplistic here, but have a Fedora installer that has different Kickstarter files for different environments, files that included all the needed nuances you list above. This is of course more in line with what you are looking for that who you responded to who said to just add whatever DE you want via the package manager, which of course misses all those nuances that make up a specific spin setup.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

This is why some months ago I asked about what files are used be Fedora for configuring installations, found out what I wanted to learn more about is Kickstarter files. I may be being simplistic here, but have a Fedora installer that has different Kickstarter files for different environments, files that included all the needed nuances you list above. This is of course more in line with what you are looking for that who you responded to who said to just add whatever DE you want via the package manager, which of course misses all those nuances that make up a specific spin setup.
          The Kickstart file just lets you select the packages that are then pulled in with requisites - the same way the package manager does. There is no difference, unless you want to distribute your selection of packages to multiple machines via the constructed image. The end result - the packages installed on a machine - will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            The Kickstart file just lets you select the packages that are then pulled in with requisites - the same way the package manager does. There is no difference, unless you want to distribute your selection of packages to multiple machines via the constructed image. The end result - the packages installed on a machine - will be the same.
            I don't know enough to know the is and outs, but would seem to me that more could be defined in a Kickstarter file (or similar) than what "dnf install gnome-desktop" might pull in. But I'm pretty limited in my knowledge here, was just curious about this in the recent past.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

I don't know enough to know the is and outs, but would seem to me that more could be defined in a Kickstarter file (or similar) than what "dnf install gnome-desktop" might pull in. But I'm pretty limited in my knowledge here, was just curious about this in the recent past.
              The kickstarts just add package groups and some very minimal live image configuration, you can review them in the fedora-kickstarts repo. Here is workstation kickstart file for example. The editions/spins are however useful if you already know your DE preferences and want them offline for an event, using them in multiple systems etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                The kickstarts just add package groups and some very minimal live image configuration, you can review them in the fedora-kickstarts repo. Here is workstation kickstart file for example. The editions/spins are however useful if you already know your DE preferences and want them offline for an event, using them in multiple systems etc.
                Thanks! I was not aware of where these were hosted, version controlled, etc. I will definitely be poking around there a bit, see what I can learn by looking at things.

Comment

I read both links, and it's still not clear to me what the benefit of immutable is. It says the core OS files are read-only until updated. I don't see how this is different while I am logged in as a regular user -- until I make the decision to update as root. I guess immutable implies there is an additional guarantee that a root process can't have an accident, but obviously there is a mechanism for updating, so ...

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
                    At this point I think we need just one distro where you can select your favourite DE and layer it in
                    Check out Universal Blue.

Comment

Yeah, I basically meant, taking advantage of rpm-ostree, you could have a base image then a layer with the DE, then the user layer, maybe you can boot to a single DE to avoid potential conflicts of having multiple DE installed, if any. There could be a DE selector in the installer.

All these names of Fedora workstation and immutable distros seems confusing. I don't know if there's a maintenance burden also.

Comment

Working...
                      X