Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB2 To Be Used By Default In Ubuntu 9.10

Phoronix: GRUB2 To Be Used By Default In Ubuntu 9.10

Starting with Ubuntu 9.10 (and beginning with tomorrow's daily CD builds), GRUB2 will be the default boot-loader on new Ubuntu installations. GRUB2 will bring internationalization support, support for newer systems, and many other improvements considering this GNU boot-loader has been in development for a number of years. This change was announced today on the Ubuntu development list after discussions took place recently at the Ubuntu Developer Summit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, hell yes!

After dropping Plymouth, it would be nice to see some usability improvements in the boot process. Although I don't look forward to having to learn how to customise it...

Comment

The current Grub 1 is slow starting. Will Grub 2 will be faster?

Comment

Please not GRUB2!

GRUB2 is both slower to start than GRUB, and has a terribly bad support for XFS, at least in Debian Lenny. Every time I upgraded the kernel, it left my two systems (a desktop and a laptop) unbootable, requiring manual insmod linux and sometimes copying the kernel and the initrd.img to an ext3 partition to be able to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by jijitus View Post
          GRUB2 is both slower to start than GRUB, and has a terribly bad support for XFS, at least in Debian Lenny. Every time I upgraded the kernel, it left my two systems (a desktop and a laptop) unbootable, requiring manual insmod linux and sometimes copying the kernel and the initrd.img to an ext3 partition to be able to boot.
          I wonder if the devs are aware yet?

Comment

Wow, it seem U follows Kanotix At least my development iso has got grub2 default for hd install since few month. The only thing where grub2 is really slow when you use it from usb drives. There isolinux hybrid or syslinux beats it easyly. Some other things i found is that memdisk (from syslinux) does not work with it and the map command for images does not like to boot my images too - which could be used for bios flashing for example.
            Last edited by Kano; 09 June 2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

what i find pretty interesting is that fedora has not yet announced to switch to grub2. so i guess that there must be some rationale for them not to switch, which ubuntu did not consider.

Comment

What I would like is that for once they would add features that would make the whole boot process more failsafe in the event that the configuration can't be found anymore or when disks have been swapped around. I just hate it when I'm looking at a grub error and a blinking cursor and no idea what to do. Scan the disks for god's sake, look for bootable partitions and give me a list of possibilities, things like that.

Comment

The best is to install grub onto the same hd as Linux. Other systems like XP could be booted with the new drivemap feature even from a 2nd or 3rd hd. It is just a bit more tricky. You should know, that changing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg is NOT working anymore, now you create extra files in /etc/grub.d . With help of os-prober it finds other OS then too, just older Win does not boot without using drivemap (basically the same usage as grub1's map command). If you know grub then you can boot more or less everything, with a few execptions. Btw. you can even chainload grub2 from any Win bootloader and boot maybe a loader which is installed into partition (is a bit more tricky than installing in mbr, needs now --force option).

Comment

I think a reason for doing this is, that grub1 is not able to boot from ext4 partitions?

Comment

Working...
                    X