Canonical Preparing Updated Ubuntu Font For Ubuntu 23.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

THe reality is that most of my issues have nothing to do with LTS. Firefox / Discord's incredible, astonishing slowness is due to snap. While they are apparently working to fix it, the nature of snaps means that it will always feel like a nasty callback to the days of HDDs when you do a fresh boot and try to open your browser (chug, chug, chug....).

And many of the driver issues are due to design decisions by Canonical, trying to simultaneously not have nvidia drivers out of the box (in some nod to FOSS purists) while making it easy to install via a helper package. The end result is a half-baked system that is less reliable and less able to be troubleshot than simply running the nvidia binary installer-- and my recollection is that their helper package caused conflicts and was a total pain to work around. Again: not a LTS issue, but an issue with how they've architected things.

Canonical has too much history rocketing from least viable product to least viable product which tends to make even their LTS releases feel less mature than Fedora's regular releases. Where's upstart, Mir, ZFS support? What happened to the Ubuntu-on-NTFS "try before you buy" install option? When are they deprecating snap and AD GPO support?

The upshot is nothing really feels fully baked, and the out-of-box experience is pretty horrible. Fonts certainly don't fix any of that.
    I stand by what I said.

The way they go from Sid to Stable is what affects the quality of everything else they do. Instead of being like Fedora or SUSE who have upstreams that roll along with the latest developments in the world so they don't get caught with their pants down, the Ubuntu way of doing that is by freezing Sid in intervals to make .10 and non-LTS .04 releases. While that's similar to Fedora stable releases, they still don't have the equivalent of Rawhide; something that rolls ahead of everything else as a buffer.

If they turned Debian Experimental+Sid into a rolling release model they'd catch a hell of a lot more edge-cases and be more prepared instead of getting hit walls of "Oh fuck, that's a lot of new" every six months when they do their freeze and rebase cycle. There's a lot of wasted manpower in that freeze and rebase cycle that'd be better used by getting things as they happen instead of doing them en-mass during their cycle; instead of just having to cross some T's and dot some I's like the Fedora release folks thanks to Rawhide and their slow, but constant, development cycle.

All that wasted manpower is why everything else feels half-assed on Ubuntu. Because it is half-assed due to decisions made in the early 00s. Biannual freeze and rebase cycles made a lot more sense before things like git, svn, multicore CPUs, and mass broadband existed. Information moved slower and you could develop around that. It's a different world now. Information moves faster. Ubuntu needs to adapt to the modern world. You can't just rebase stuff every six months or so like you could 10 and 20 years ago. Too much stuff changes in that time frame now.

Even Microsoft realized that and adapted Windows into a Fedora-like model where the different Windows channels act like Rawhide (Dev), Fedora (Beta), Cent (Release Preview), and RHEL (Release).

Comment

Working...
    X