Debian 12 Bookworm's Installer Updated To Better Handle Non-Free Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 12 Bookworm's Installer Updated To Better Handle Non-Free Firmware

Phoronix: Debian 12 Bookworm's Installer Updated To Better Handle Non-Free Firmware

Debian 12 "Bookworm" is now under its soft freeze while out this weekend is the second alpha release for the Debian Installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does debian's installer allows one to easily set the btrfs subvolumes, also does it supports the verified boot?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      does debian's installer allows one to easily set the btrfs subvolumes, also does it supports the verified boot?
      Btrfs subvolumes I don't know, but SecureBoot is supported if that's what you asking, Debian works with fully enforced SecureBoot mode, with UEFI booting enabled and compatibility booting disabled.

Comment

The addition of the commented out GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER directive to the GRUB2 configuration will save me a step in the future.

The non-free firmware installation option is something I want to study in more detail; it could save me another step or two in the future.

Comment

I pull the latest firmware from Linus's tree regularly, so the issue of not including the firmware in the installer doesn't concern me.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            lol; I hope Debian made a luks/btrfs option instead of the redicioulus installer of past.

Comment

Please just enable my Nvidia and AMD graphics cards to work without me having to jump through hoops and micro-manage version control. I know it's asking too much...

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake2 View Post
                Please just enable my Nvidia and AMD graphics cards to work without me having to jump through hoops and micro-manage version control. I know it's asking too much...
                Huh?

AMD works out of the box with the open source driver (amdgpu). Nothing to do here.
                Nvidia requires you to download and install a blob driver from their site. Will be this way forever.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Huh?
                  Yeah, no. Basic functionality works fine. Getting CUDA & OpenCL to work correctly require hoops to be jumped through, often flaming. I'm having more success with Nvidia at the moment but only on specific versions of specific distros. AMD GPU firmware for gpgpu is as far as I can tell completely broken right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake2 View Post
                    Yeah, no. Basic functionality works fine. Getting CUDA & OpenCL to work correctly require hoops to be jumped through, often flaming. I'm having more success with Nvidia at the moment but only on specific versions of specific distros. AMD GPU firmware for gpgpu is as far as I can tell completely broken right now.
                    Ah, okay. So your use case comprises of more than the usual stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X