No announcement yet.

openSUSE Is Still Looking For Users To Step Up And Maintain 32-bit x86 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Is Still Looking For Users To Step Up And Maintain 32-bit x86 Support

Phoronix: openSUSE Is Still Looking For Users To Step Up And Maintain 32-bit x86 Support

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is transitioning to x86-64-v2 CPU requirements and for the x86 32-bit realm they are working to carve-out their i586 packages into a separate "openSUSE:Factory:LegacyX86" archive. But so far no one has stepped up to maintain these 32-bit packages and thus jeopardizing its future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, I care!

We still have one of these 32-bit netbooks and installing Leap was impossible...
    Installed Tumbleweed and still, several packages are missing...

I guess you can say it's time for a change though...

Update: Never mind, screw it. We got a new machine so that netbook can go rest.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 16 December 2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

The expected result everyone cried a river, and anyone realy cares, so lets wave it goodbye.

Comment

I haven't ran SUSE in many moons, but wouldn't this remove steam? As it's still a 32bit package, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Yes, I care!

We still have one of these 32-bit netbooks and installing Leap was impossible...
          Installed Tumbleweed and still, several packages are missing...

I guess you can say it's time for a change though...
          So you can step up to volunteer to maintain the port. If you don't want to, then that's fine as well, just don't complain if no one else wants to do it either.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            I haven't ran SUSE in many moons, but wouldn't this remove steam? As it's still a 32bit package, right?
            They intend to provide a few 32-bit libraries to support things like Wine (this is the same as Fedora has done).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

They intend to provide a few 32-bit libraries to support things like Wine (this is the same as Fedora has done).
              And Ubuntu. https://canonical.com/blog/statement...-and-20-04-lts

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
                The expected result everyone cried a river, and anyone realy cares, so lets wave it goodbye.
                anyone -> no one? Anyway, this may very well end up being the same result as what happened in Fedora, where there was interest in continuing a 32-bit distro as an alternative arch, but an insufficient number of individuals who were able to commit resources to actually doing it, so it got dropped. This is a not uncommon situation, lots of people who want, fewer people willing/able to do so over the longer term (maintaining an alternative arch can end up taking substantial time/resources).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

anyone -> no one? Anyway, this may very well end up being the same result as what happened in Fedora, where there was interest in continuing a 32-bit distro as an alternative arch, but an insufficient number of individuals who were able to commit resources to actually doing it, so it got dropped. This is a not uncommon situation, lots of people who want, fewer people willing/able to do so over the longer term (maintaining an alternative arch can end up taking substantial time/resources).
                  Just thought of something crasy the ressources, linux needs a network like boinc where you get credits for used compile time .

Can you actually post workloads like linux compile times on boinc ?

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

So you can step up to volunteer to maintain the port. If you don't want to, then that's fine as well, just don't complain if no one else wants to do it either.
                    It's not like I have the resources to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X