No announcement yet.

Fedora 38 Looking At A Phosh Image For Mobile Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to run Fedora Mobile on Librem 5.

I would also love to see the community do some chonky slimlined Rasberry Pi 4 Phones.

Of course, I would also love to see someone cut off the wings on a Steam Deck -- throw in a 3d printed rectangle case and literally have a ultra-powerful x86 hand-held, put the OS on the MicroSD and use the M.2 slot for a Modem and you are fucking set. $399 not bad either to carry around a x86.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
      Do you have any numbers? Have you compared to Android things like battery life or (perceived) responsiveness or memory usage?
      I don't have such numbers or tried GloDroid (Android for Pinephone). Waydroid (LineageOS within LXC container) at least is way less responsive on OG Pinephone. Might run well on Pinephone Pro. Still on Android 11 though.

There have been some tests about the different knobs of the hardware of the Pinephone by Genode OS developer to reduce energy: https://genodians.org/nfeske/2022-09...-low-can-we-go

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Will this Phosh image be limited to OSS type devices such as Pinephone or Librem/Purism (or others), or will it be possible to squeeze this onto a "mainstream" device such as a Samsung, a OnePlus, or Motorola (or others)?
        This will probably depend if the bootloader (u-boot) will be included in a readily flashable image or if a separate bootloader (e.g.. TowBoot) is required like it is on Mobian.

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post

This will probably depend if the bootloader (u-boot) will be included in a readily flashable image or if a separate bootloader (e.g.. TowBoot) is required like it is on Mobian.
          This would actually make no difference. But for good measure, the benefit of tow-boot is that mobian, pmOS or other distros do NOT have to care about the device firmware. One standard for all u-boot based devices.

Those mainstream devices, and lets be clear, they are android devices, come with a own custom bootloader which has very specific requirements, for example in the department of partitions on the device. They need a completely different handling compared to u-boot based devices like the pinephone or librem5. Also you need to flash the separate partitions manually via fastboot. If you want to try that out, Mobian with Phosh for example is available for some SD845 devices.

Comment

I don't have such numbers or tried GloDroid (Android for Pinephone). Waydroid (LineageOS within LXC container) at least is way less responsive on OG Pinephone. Might run well on Pinephone Pro. Still on Android 11 though.

There have been some tests about the different knobs of the hardware of the Pinephone by Genode OS developer to reduce energy: https://genodians.org/nfeske/2022-09...-low-can-we-go
            on the OG pine phone, you were likely using software rendering due to various issues with waydroid. im not sure if pinephone waydroid has 3d accel yet, but multiple people have complained about it.

Comment

Thanks! I didn't know about GloDroid, I'll read about it and the article as well

Comment

People can be disappointed with Purism but they gave the greater impulse to Linux on the mobile space!
                Last edited by Danielsan; 09 November 2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Icons have to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Of course, I would also love to see someone cut off the wings on a Steam Deck -- throw in a 3d printed rectangle case and literally have a ultra-powerful x86 hand-held, put the OS on the MicroSD and use the M.2 slot for a Modem and you are fucking set. $399 not bad either to carry around a x86.
                    The x86 part is very doable, and maybe can be improved upon, thanks to Framework selling their mainboards separately, and all the side projects that are coming out of that.
                    At the end of the day, GPD Win, Steam Deck and derivatives have a very specific use case: keep your fingers on the sides where the controllers are placed, and never get them too close to the center (CPU), because it's burning hot there.

Comment

Working...
                    X