No announcement yet.

openSUSE Looking For Help Testing Its New Installer, New Name For "D-Installer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Looking For Help Testing Its New Installer, New Name For "D-Installer"

Phoronix: openSUSE Looking For Help Testing Its New Installer, New Name For "D-Installer"

At the start of the year SUSE's YaST team announced D-Installer as their new web-based distribution installer. Now as we approach the end of the year, D-Installer is ready for more widespread user testing and they are looking for help from the community in testing. Additionally, they are looking for help coming up with a new name for the "D-Installer"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lizard Wizard

Comment

I am not really happy with this WebUI trend, they aren't any better, only to open a browser you burn 4GB or RAM...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
        Just call it Installer.
        Please, don't let them follow the trend of GNOME, Apple, etc. of generic names.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I am not really happy with this WebUI trend, they aren't any better, only to open a browser you burn 4GB or RAM...
          That was my first thought about them, but the more I think about how a distribution is installed and how people want remote administration tooling the more I understand why they'd go this route. Regardless of the distribution, or even the OS for that matter, the steps are basically format a drive, configure settings and users, copy files, and set configurations. That's it. Moving to something like this they're able to have one installer that can install everything that they offer and do it locally or remotely. Yeah, it has the downside that crappy machines might not have the resources to run the installer, but, Devil's Advocate, if the machine doesn't have the resources to run the installer then it probably doesn't have the resources to run LibreOffice or Firefox and probably shouldn't be used by anyone except Linux and OS hobbyists.

Sometimes you have to accept that you shouldn't be driving a Model T maxed out at 45mph on a 65mph highway; that your 2001 laptop is no longer a highway capable vehicle. That said, there's also the "or remotely" option where you just connect your craptop to the network and let your home desktop or business's server run the installer. That's like pulling your Model T down the highway on a trailer.

Comment

maybe try offering 1 year free developer licenses if you want help suse.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
              Just call it Installer.​
              Clearly, the proper name would be: Installateurin

Comment

D-Installer?

You mean it is a fancy GUI wrapped around 1 command?

Code:
                 prompt> rm -fr /
                Yep. That will D-Install the OS on your storage system.

Perhaps a better name would be better for this SUSE software.

Comment

what, no microos option?

Comment

Is anyone else having a hard time downloading the installer iso? No matter what mirror I try it won't finish (or takes over two hours so I haven't tested it). Firefox thinks it completes between 20-100mb most of the time. Going to this page and using the US mirror got it within 8mb of the actual size (checksums didn't match). That mirror is also half the speed of the what I get when I click either of the iso files on the download page.

Comment

Working...
                    X