No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is an outright lie born in the feverish mind of a fanboi. We all read bull like that far more often than we wished; every week there is yet one more would be blogger that posts the same old same old Ubuntu installation screenshots alongside the reasons why you really (really) want to trash windows. They are repeated as a mantra and, at some point, I even think they are believed by those who spread them. The problem, of course, is that they don't hold their own weight. It is interesting how one's own experience can be denied and substituted by religion. My personal favourite is that of 'stability', perhaps because it's just so in your face that I can't believe it's tossed on the table over and over again.
    Aside the fact this is trolling (i.e., not being to the point and calling people names), I'd dare say the same thing you wrote is a lie. Windows _is_ slow, Windows _is_ more than often unstable. I work with Windows every day and sigh over its sheer stupidity. I laugh at watching $$ roll into my bank account because Microsoft has produced and is producing such a lame OS that people must be hired to get it to work properly. Oh, the irony.

I lied. THIS is actually my favourite linux fallacy. Somehow, having a bunch of code accessible is the magic bullet that will solve everybody's problems. Our army of coders will take on it and cook the ultimate solution for the masses. Again, sometimes no amount of reality can wake up some minds. The state (and future expected performance) of the open drivers after AMD released the especifications some time ago is one of those situations where reality and myth collide badly.
    It's no fallacy. I actually expected xv to take _much_ longer than it needed. The code opened 2 months after I bought my igp, and 2 months after I got what I wanted, a lot faster than with fglrx. Wonders where you get with patience.

As for 3d? Waiting a few months isn't that hard. This is a process on the move, gaming on Linux is still doing its babysteps, so people complaining about that have little to no brains, as far as I'm concerned. It's all well proportioned at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Everything works great here out of the box (except printer, because I don't have it).
      Well I wish it was as smooth here. Windows 7 on the other hand picked up every piece of hardware from tv card to board specific monitoring and still being able to run old applications without issue. Worst case experience was having to set a few installers to XP compatibility mode. Couldn't say the same for linux despite all devices "supposedly" being properly supported.
      Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Well I wish it was as smooth here. Windows 7 on the other hand picked up every piece of hardware from tv card to board specific monitoring and still being able to run old applications without issue. Worst case experience was having to set a few installers to XP compatibility mode. Couldn't say the same for linux despite all devices "supposedly" being properly supported.
        Yeah I heard that from hundreds of people back while Vista was in beta... I doubt half of them switched to vista finally heh...But! The same sayings ages ago. We will give another example about how Linux worked for us while window$ didn't and then you'll take the baton and so on and so on... Seriously, if you are so satisified with window$ and disatisfied with Linux then why you write in these forums with geeks like us? I bet there are millions other out there which belaud window$' attributes...

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          Yeah I heard that from hundreds of people back while Vista was in beta... I doubt half of them switched to vista finally heh...But! The same sayings ages ago. We will give another example about how Linux worked for us while window$ didn't and then you'll take the baton and so on and so on... Seriously, if you are so satisified with window$ and disatisfied with Linux then why you write in these forums with geeks like us? I bet there are millions other out there which belaud window$' attributes...

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage. I'm a geek as well, I like to tweak, I like to code, I like fixing stuff, thus why I use linux. It's more of a hobby os. When it comes to getting serious work done though in area's like cad, multimedia creation, or even professional documentation I will opt to the OS's that are more geared towards that and use OS X or Windows. I can't in all honesty, recommend linux for home usage for the average person. Linux simply breaks on the desktop all to often where the philosophy seems to be as of late break first, fix later without leaving a working alternative during the transition ( *cough*pulseaudio*cough* ).
          Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
            You don't have to convince me of the goodness of linux, I am aware and take advantage of them daily; it just happens that I also suffer from its drawbacks and refuse to be blind before those.
            Every OS has drawbacks. If not then everyone would have switched to the specific one without them. So what really matters are your priorities.

That _I_ found 1, 10, 100 or none applications that I can't use nowadays is not relevant. I was thinking more than anything else in private companies that, when it comes to weighting out the possibility of adding linux among the supported systems for their applications/drivers, decide that it's not worth it due to the lack of a stable ABI. In any case, to satisfy your curiosity, I did have problems with some code to analyze X-ray diffraction data that is not maintained anymore and it won't run on any reasonably current linux system. Luckily enough, I found an alternative, how long is it going to last?
            My bests friends father is a photographer by proffesional. Back in window$ 2000 had spent about 1500 Euros (about 2000$) for a TV/Video card. I think was Hauppauge's. He worked it for few months with that still XP came out and didn't support it, unfortunately for him Hauppauge did never make drivers for XP. What a waste for a small company.
            Your turn now... if you want I can give examples till eternity or till you realize that both ways of computers evolution have advantages and disadvantages, both open source and proprietary each for its own reasons. Now if we make opensource to evolute in the same way as proprietary does then... (well if I really begin write what is gonna happen then I'll need about 512GB of RAM for all the text to fit here and I'll repeat things that have been spoken ages ago again again).

Comment

I use all OS's equally. They all have their strengths and weak points. Desktop usage is still the weak point of linux as is full featured hardware usage.
              Huh? What kind of strengths does this vista have?

Comment

Huh? What kind of strengths does this vista have?
                Hmmm, wider full featured hardware support, quality software selection (some even opensourced), professional grade apps and games, far superior multimedia without having to jump through hoops, not to mention working ATI and intel drivers ;D.

Comment

Hmmm, wider full featured hardware support, quality software selection (some even opensourced), professional grade apps and games, far superior multimedia without having to jump through hoops, not to mention working ATI and intel drivers ;D.
                  WOW! All these? I must be blind then, especially that quality software selection... So since the majority of window$ desktop users didn't switch from XP means that XP are so much better... Seriously if they offer so much what advantage did you find in Linux? (I promise you I don't understand)

Comment

WOW! All these? I must be blind then, especially that quality software selection... So since the majority of window$ desktop users didn't switch from XP means that XP are so much better... Seriously if they offer so much what advantage did you find in Linux? (I promise you I don't understand)

Well lets put it this way Apopas, my father is now in his 70's. He's by no means a computer geek, but over the years I can count on one hand the number of times he's called me to help fix something and three of those times were because of hardware failure. He's done his own system upgrades, 2k-->xp-->vista, doesn't fear doing updates, all his hardware does work, he can spend his retirement hours surfing, playing photo touch up artist, record his satellite programs, get all his mouse buttons to work, upgrade his video card or printer without worrys, use that digital camera he just upgraded, sync his cell phone, video IM, enjoy his music using 5.1 with proper filtering, if he does have to contact me he can IM and Desktop share because he hears all about these virii, worms, spyware, etc but yet has ever to actually be effected by any, and spend hours on hand analyzing the next set of lotto numbers (some of his lotto apps are still on 5 1/4 and still work). Real life, real situations.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Well lets put it this way Apopas, my father is now in his 70's. He's by no means a computer geek, but over the years I can count on one hand the number of times he's called me to help fix something and three of those times were because of hardware failure. He's done his own system upgrades, 2k-->xp-->vista, doesn't fear doing updates, all his hardware does work, he can spend his retirement hours surfing, playing photo touch up artist, record his satellite programs, get all his mouse buttons to work, upgrade his video card or printer without worrys, use that digital camera he just upgraded, sync his cell phone, video IM, enjoy his music using 5.1 with proper filtering, if he does have to contact me he can IM and Desktop share because he hears all about these virii, worms, spyware, etc but yet has ever to actually be effected by any, and spend hours on hand analyzing the next set of lotto numbers (some of his lotto apps are still on 5 1/4 and still work). Real life, real situations.
                      And then again, he can't possibly be using his all-too-superior Windows-based system without having a costly anti-virus / spyware / adware software 24/7 on.

Another segment of the market only existent as a result of Windows' extremely lame design, of course. But I even might hear from you there are viruses on Linux.

Off topic -- sorry to be an ass, but it's 'vira' if you insist on correct Latin. XD

Comment

Working...
                      X