Endeavour OS 22.9 "Artemis Nova" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

For newbies and people who don't want to learn linux and just need something that "works", then fedora, ubuntu, mint, mx... But IMO endeavour and few other arch distros do a good job at being "simple", even for daily use. Obviously, if something breaks really bad (it happened to me with debian, never in my years of using arch...) you either need to know how to fix it or spend your very precious time asking for help on their forums.
    there is truth to the statement that arch rarely breaks, and only ever when upstream breaks something. I still wouldn't reccomend endeavor to people who don't want to learn though. treating endeavor as a shortcut for arch, as so many do. I think is a mistake, endeavor is fine for people who want something setup oob. however I still think the first arch based distro you should use is arch, and not using the installer either.

to me the arch install process is like a tutorial. it's not hard to do at all, but rather will help you learn the basic fundementals of dealing with arch, as well as being able to navigate the wiki. I have heard countless times people breaking their system that is an easy fix by simply reading the wiki, but people seem to be alergic to hyperlinks or something I dunno. If you haven't installed arch via the manual process at least once, without following some online guide, I don't think you should be using an arch based distro. this is why, while I love the arch-install tool (I use it all the time now) I dont think it should exist.

at the very least, I make people fill out a pseudo questionnaire before I help them. because the amount of times new arch users are asking basic questions like "How do I know how my networking is setup" is simply to much for me to care to help arch users now, or really any arch based derivative.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      I still wouldn't reccomend endeavor to people who don't want to learn though. treating endeavor as a shortcut for arch, as so many do.
      Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
      X