Ubuntu 22.10 Readied With The Linux 5.19 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The Stability in LTS isn't in regards to packages running and not crashing Stability, it's Stability in knowing that package versions, features, and advertised abilities don't change on a whim or become incompatible. For example, you won't get the 3.0 of a program that changes command flags around and does bug fixes unless it is able to be patched to use the previous version's flags; you'll be stuck on the 2.9 version that has known issues when processing JPEG-XL so you have to stick to JPEG. That's Stability.
    Thanks, I always thought it just meant that more effort was put into making sure the whole stack wouldn't crash as much, and I did not realize it had anything to do with package API/ABIs.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

6-month cycle distro
      This is the one thing that really holds me back from being an OpenBSD daily driver. Having to upgrade the OS every 6 months. Of course unlike in the Linux world where things have stabilized a lot in recent years, every obsd release is jam packed with major features for example the upcoming release will be the first with a pstree command I was reading on undeadly the other day ps -f I believe. That is something Linux has had for years and is a major feature! So I would never expect to see a 5 year cadence OpenBSD but the fact that you get one year of support for a 6 month release and 6 months of package updates is a huge downfall I mentioned in any academic paper I ever did on OpenBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Thanks, I always thought it just meant that more effort was put into making sure the whole stack wouldn't crash as much, and I did not realize it had anything to do with package API/ABIs.
        Don't get me wrong, it's not like there isn't any focus on actual program stability, but that can sometimes not happen until a couple point releases in. Goal # 1 of these distributions is to change as little as possible so that things developed being developed on day 1 will run on day 2000, hence the term Long Term Stability. About the only thing that'll break API/ABI are security fixes.

I think LTS is one of those terms that gets all of us at first. I know the terms Stable and LTS got me back in the day and were why I ran Debian Stable, dabbled in Sid, and then went to Ubuntu LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          I wonder how many people run non-lts Ubuntu and its derivatives. I've heard they are frightenging unstable. Heck this years LTS release had a few stability issues.
          I've run all Ubuntu versions since 14.10 and I say it is utter bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post

Exactly, non-lts Ubuntu versions are as stable as Fedora. There's so much bullshit against Canonical nowadays...

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Exactly, non-lts Ubuntu versions are as stable as Fedora. There's so much bullshit against Canonical nowadays...
              I'm kind of pissy that Zsys and their ZFS Root setup didn't gain more traction. Granted, they went all legacy in their thinking and made a funky BIOS compatible, GRUB using setup that kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of wanting a ZFS Root setup. I suppose it doesn't help Ubuntu devs that the ZFS documentation is littered with warnings like "salted blake3 currently not supported for any filesystem on the boot pools​" when, for the most part, they only mean GRUB on Linux. Pretty much anything that uses an initramfs and the kernel's ZFS modules to load the pools gets around that warning. The bootloader ZFSBootMenu does the initramfs method.

Other than that it's a fine desktop if you just want to run stuff and not fall too far behind the rollers. Everyone complaining about Snaps and startup time makes me giggle about Steam and startup time. The joke is that most of the time I open up Steam I have to wait a few minutes for updates and cache to download. A 30 second delay on the first Snap opened doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post

I have used most of the Ubuntu versions since 9.10 (used a bit of SUSE Linux at Varsity) and I have nothing but love for it. With all its flaws, I am thankful it exists, as it was a beginner (me = Noob) friendly Linux OS at the time. In fact, running it on a laptop with an Nvidia GPU taught me how to use command line, Stack Overflow and forums to solve the graphic issues. Although not by design, I appreciate Ubuntu for the friendly community (forums) it has created.

My bias is probably due to the love I have for tinkering .

Comment

Working...
                X