No announcement yet.

openSUSE Leap 15.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've statred using Leap/stable (KDE) 10 years ago (since 12.1 I think). Though I switched to Kubuntu for a year or so. And 2 years ago I moved to Thumbleweed (KDE), it works great.

Comment

Just installed in my PC and I've noticed very soon an incredible bug: all qt5 applications, when the compositing is disabled, suffer of graphical artifacts. That's incredible , considered that Yast is made with the qt5 libs. After a fast searching, the bug seems related to the mesa software. This bug is whitout excuses for me.

Comment

While I prefer Tumbleweed, for many users a regular release like Leap is the best solution. For example I am now out and about with my laptop for work (I am not going home), so I am forced to use the data connection of the phone, which in some places is very slow, updating Tumbleweed is becoming a problem for me as soon as I have some time I think to install Leap.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
          Just installed in my PC and I've noticed very soon an incredible bug: all qt5 applications, when the compositing is disabled, suffer of graphical artifacts. That's incredible , considered that Yast is made with the qt5 libs. After a fast searching, the bug seems related to the mesa software. This bug is whitout excuses for me.
          It doesn't seem to me that Yast is in Qt, but it seems to me that it is written in ruby. After that it uses Qt or Gtk libraries for graphics.
          Anyway regardless ... I installed Leap 15.4 when it was in RC (I don't think the mesa version changed) and I had no problems, I deduce a mesa bug for your specific card, it's not the first time this happens and it can happen on any distribution, because no one can test the hundreds of hardware configurations.
          On Ubuntu it even happened to me on an Lts on Ubuntu certified hardware and that bug in that version was never fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

It doesn't seem to me that Yast is in Qt, but it seems to me that it is written in ruby. After that it uses Qt or Gtk libraries for graphics.
            Anyway regardless ... I installed Leap 15.4 when it was in RC (I don't think the mesa version changed) and I had no problems, I deduce a mesa bug for your specific card, it's not the first time this happens and it can happen on any distribution, because no one can test the hundreds of hardware configurations.
            On Ubuntu it even happened to me on an Lts on Ubuntu certified hardware and that bug in that version was never fixed.
            This bug was present also in the two previouses RC releases, because I was testing this new version for my installation. All qt5 applications are affected, Yast, VLC, KDE, and so on...

Comment

This bug was present also in the two previouses RC releases, because I was testing this new version for my installation. All qt5 applications are affected, Yast, VLC, KDE, and so on...
              Did you file a bug report at openSUSE bugzilla ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Did you file a bug report at openSUSE bugzilla ?
                Really?

Comment

Really?
                  Really what?

Yes, there are bugs with new KDE and too old video chips (for instance, ATI pre-Terascale) - some elements are missing.
                  Try to use software Mesa 3D rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

Really what?

Yes, there are bugs with new KDE and too old video chips (for instance, ATI pre-Terascale) - some elements are missing.
                    Try to use software Mesa 3D rendering.
                    The issue is with mesa (as I've read around the web), that should be downgraded or upgraded. Then, I'lle be ready to pass to OpenSUSE Leap, which is the best linux distro.

Comment

The issue is with mesa (as I've read around the web), that should be downgraded or upgraded. Then, I'lle be ready to pass to OpenSUSE Leap, which is the best linux distro.
                      You can search for a different version of Mesa on OBS. I highly doubt they will touch Mesa at this point, because maybe it would solve your problem, but it would create more for other users.

Comment

Working...
                      X