Lars Knoll Leaving The Qt Company, Starting New Chapter Outside Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, they could have used Mate, Enlightenment, Cinnamon, or any other number of desktops if all they wanted was a Windows-like UI. Fedora with GNOME Classic would have fulfilled the Windows-looking, File Manager, and Flatpak Manager needs perfectly. I assumed they picked KDE because even though it is Windows-like, and therefore easy to use and figure out by the average person, it can also be configured to look like most anything anyone can imagine which is a nice feature if they want to scale well from 7" screens all they way up to 65" and more. While other desktop environments could fulfill that role, KDE comes with a lot of surrounding apps, features, and integrations that make the whole ecosystem very powerful.

I happen to like Dolphin the most out of any file manager. It does more than everything I need it to do so I never feel limited or constrained like I do with a lot of other file managers.

But I have to agree that Discover is a cruel joke.
    I agree with everything you said, except for the part about Discover. I think Discover needs to improve to qualify as a "cruel joke".
    I'm all apt/zypper/pacman because of that... thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Ahhhhhhh.... That ugly UI ???

*PopcornGrabWhileWaitingForReplies*
      I tried hard to use KDE but the main show stopper for me was how extremely ugly, clusterfucked and windowsy everything looked.. I can see where Gnome limitations might be as well, but the look of it is definitely outstanding imho.

Comment

As usual, KDE Plasma is so configurable that you can even make it look like macOS

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

I tried hard to use KDE but the main show stopper for me was how extremely ugly, clusterfucked and windowsy everything looked.. I can see where Gnome limitations might be as well, but the look of it is definitely outstanding imho.
          That argument goes both ways. KDE clicks with some users, Gnome clicks with others. That doesn't make one DE better than the other.
          The number of clicks/keystrokes needed to accomplish tasks would, but afaik nobody has ever measured that.

And anyway, you shouldn't worry about KDE looking like Windows anymore, now that Windows decided it should look like macOS

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That argument goes both ways. KDE clicks with some users, Gnome clicks with others. That doesn't make one DE better than the other.
            The number of clicks/keystrokes needed to accomplish tasks would, but afaik nobody has ever measured that.

And anyway, you shouldn't worry about KDE looking like Windows anymore, now that Windows decided it should look like macOS
            At least Windows stopped copying KDE (yes, that was a thing at one point)

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Well - under KDE the short-cuts are all the same, whereas under gtk it always depended on the used gtk version and the developer.
              So craptacular mess IMHO.

The other thing I liked about KDE was that you could practically configure everything - while the gnome guys forced you into "Their" idea of look & feel.

Now - using KDE Neon on Wayland is quite nice to be honest. Fast, smooth :}

PS: I made the french translation for KDE 1.0 back in time! So, there are some other bonds active here
              Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

At least Windows stopped copying KDE (yes, that was a thing at one point)
                It hasn't really stopped. Since KDE is so configurable, whatever Windows decides to implement or change looks for, chances are KDE could already do it. So Windows is still copying

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Dolphin and Discover are so bad I honestly believe they are some cruel joke.
                  You're wrong. Dolphin is the best. What I like most, apart from the tabs, integrated konsole (F4), file find (crtl-f), double file pane (F3), is the filter (ctrl-i). That is such a time saver when you're looking for a file in a crowded directory. I don't understand Exploder and Finder (hail Steve) lack this feature.

Comment

I think people have too much faith in Valve here and much of it is untested.

After having presence in the linux community going back almost a decade now I had thought they were well versed in the community and of linux based technology.

However, seeing chats with others who had discussions with their developers some of the choices were as much as about, making a choice as it was about awareness that things existed.

For instance theyr A/B image based update mechanism. A rejection of OStree? Nope. They didnt even know it existed before they had announced their approach when it was too late to change.

Someone wrote about how major Valve projects always get lead by the same people - it seems with Steam Deck. some priorities got handed over to them from those that were making steam work on linux and they made their own choices in secret without a full set of information or knowledge of their options.

In such a world I doubt they will ever form a toolkit. At best they will hire some contractors to implement features they need but expect the code to go back to the respective projects.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not that worried now that Valve's using KDE with their OS. At the end of the day, if the Qt Company wants to dick around too much then Valve can use their profits from Microsoft Flight Simulator to hire contractors and developers to fork Qt.
                      At that point, developing a new UI for Deck with a different toolkit would be easier than maintaining a Qt fork. After all, Valve uses HTML & JS for their other programs.

Comment

Working...
                      X