FFmpeg Lands AVIF Muxer For This Image Format Based On AV1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
    I think the biggest roadblock to AVIF/JXL/whatever is going to be habit and familiarity. Kinda like how transcoding to mp3 is still popular, and some apps *still* default to it, even though there is basically no reason to do it.

Webp is basically AVIF's predecessor, but it faced a similar issue. No one is going to use it if it wont embed in discord or facebook or imgur or whatever, if their camera doesn't encode it, and if their apps still default to making jpegs.
    webp is used more than you think. a lot of websites nowerday use webp if the browser supports it as this saves bandwidth and loading time. As almost all users have a browser which supports it nowerdays, there is no real reason to not use it.
    Essentially of the "relevant" browser only IE11 does not support it, which has a market share of ~0,5%. So 99,5% of users have support for it.

On June 15 2022 microsoft will further "disable" IE11 on all windows machines, so it will redirect to edge (chromium based) automatically. So we will have like ~99,8% support.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
      webp is used more than you think. a lot of websites nowerday use webp if the browser supports it as this saves bandwidth and loading time. As almost all users have a browser which supports it nowerdays, there is no real reason to not use it.
      Essentially of the "relevant" browser only IE11 does not support it, which has a market share of ~0,5%. So 99,5% of users have support for it.

On June 15 2022 microsoft will further "disable" IE11 on all windows machines, so it will redirect to edge (chromium based) automatically. So we will have like ~99,8% support.
      There are CDNs like Cloudflare for example that support automatic transparent conversion to WebP too.

Comment

There are CDNs like Cloudflare for example that support automatic transparent conversion to WebP too.
        and Cloudflare Images converts to AVIF if the browser supports that [1].
        [1] https://blog.cloudflare.com/images-avif-blur-bundle/

Comment

Wow. Shocked that I didn't see this before. FF/Chrome have been avoiding MPEG-LA going on 10 years so I would simply never have believed they'd adopt this mux format. I've been using .avif in gimp for 2 years, exporting to WebP, and I'll keep doing that, but it's nice to know that in another 3ish years I can probably start shipping .avif images for the web.
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 03 June 2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Wow. Shocked that I didn't see this before. FF/Chrome have been avoiding MPEG-LA going on 10 years so I would simply never have believed they'd adopt this mux format. I've been using .avif in gimp for 2 years, exporting to WebP, and I'll keep doing that, but it's nice to know that in another 3ish years I can probably start shipping .avif images for the web.
            well there is a few things wrong with this, primarily being that mp4 is just a container (a highly mediocre one but still) so mpeg-la doesn't really hold any power to do anything.

secondly mp4 is well supported in firefox and chrome

lastly if you are doing stills, you will want jxl, avif will still be better for animations, but jxl is what you want for stills, much better then avif and is also getting rapid support.

Comment

Working...
            X