Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Issues First Production Release Of Its CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Issues First Production Release Of Its CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Microsoft Issues First Production Release Of Its CBL-Mariner 2.0 Linux Distribution

Made public last year by Microsoft was CBL-Mariner 1.0 as its internal Linux distribution used for selective purposes from Azure to WSL. This Microsoft "Common Base Linux" distribution has worked well for their internal needs while continuing to make roughly monthly public updates to its 1.0 branch. Today CBL-Mariner 2.0 marks its first production release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The day has come, Microsoft released a Linux distribution for the public. What a pleasent coincidence on "Victory Day".

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      The day has come, Microsoft released a Linux distribution for the public. What a pleasent coincidence on "Victory Day".
      Now we should wait for Microsoft Desktop Linux distribution. Will it happen on September, 2?

Comment

The world needed yet another Linux distro /s

My only hope is that at least it's tightly coupled with systemd, so I can eat popcorn while reading the conspiracy theorists yell.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

My only hope is that at least it's tightly coupled with systemd, so I can eat popcorn while reading the conspiracy theorists yell.
          It uses systemd and developers involved are even active systemd contributors. You will run out of popcorn soon.

Comment

True, it uses systemd as that's the reason the discovered security relevant bugs in networkd-dispatcher - but that is not all, we should not forget
            GNOME desktop, Wayland, snaped firefox and Paragon's NTFS driver (with parallel announcement that Microsoft stepped up to do the maintenance
            using a big blob) ...
            Maybe the full version will be released 9/11 ... when the towers of free software will fall ...

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
              Maybe the full version will be released 9/11 ... when the towers of free software will fall ...
              Provided someone finds oil in free software developers backyards.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It uses systemd and developers involved are even active systemd contributors. You will run out of popcorn soon.
                By the way - is systemd already shared source?

Oh yes, we can guess what will happen: MS has dumped IBM with OS/2 and now ...
                it will dump IBM again - but this time with Linux.
                Still time for popcorn - and I can see heaps of popcorn ...
                but this time it will get stuck in the throat ...
                We all know what happened when Microsoft contributes or partners or others pay
                for getting IP they pirated - Sun, DEC ... RIP.
                And IBM payed the missing IP bill created by Microsoft with (MS) DOS ... to have a valid license
                for IBM DOS which was stable due to their work - not that of the other company involved (on paper).
                Don't you remember?

Would be interesting if IBM can survive this again ... so at least the 3rd time ...
                Maybe it is something for popcorn ... when not involved at all ...
                But one may remember - still - even at IBM who released those who really know ...
                As remembering could help here - a lot!
                "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

We will see ... from a distance ...
                But Red Hat is not really involved in desktop (for non MS use cases) ... so may not be the end of Linux distros ...
                and may result in more fostering free SW (i.e. caring for users) ... not the GNOME way giving users no options
                just for not disturbing them - so kind - giving a warm feeling - like being pulled over the barrel.
                Seems to be well known ... what was the name of that OS caring in similar ways for users - the old VMS successor ...
                named ... doors, fences, walls, grills .. it's on the tip of my tongue.
                Anyone an idea of the name ...

Comment

Better still, be tightly coupled with a systemd rewritten in Rust

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Wow, I didn't know that, so Microsoft developers contribute to systemd now? The systemd/RH/MS/IBM/Poettering conspiracy truthers' heads are going to explode. For the rest of us who like popcorn that's Christmas come early.

Comment

Working...
                    X