Fedora 37 Will Not Deprecate Legacy BIOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    If it was for me, I'd never deprecate BIOS support. It's just too valuable and nifty to have (e.g. for VMs).
    While the big names have support for UEFI booting (although with AWS it currently requires a few non-standard configurations), smaller cloud providers (and their VM infrastructure) were the most often cited reason to keep bios booting around a bit longer. It is expected that except for the niche providers that most will eventually properly support UEFI boot as they will want to be able to be able to host orgs that use later Windows version that are starting to require UEFI (sure, many here might never boot windows, but many orgs have a need to do so, and cloud providers want to be able to be considered for those orgs revenue).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've had nothing but huge troubles when trying to enable EFI in VirtualBox. BIOS mode instead just works.
      Virtualbox claims to support UEFI booting. Do you have open cases with Oracle?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        Do you really want to run a modern distro on hardware that is as fast on 100W as a modern 15W slim notebook? There is a point on which keeping that stuff out of the Recycling is more wasteful then to use a modern product.
        I am so thankful Alex you are going to buy me a new computer which I cannot afford on my own, so I keep using the one I have, thank you for your kindness to me to help get this done.

There are a lot of us out here who cannot afford new computers, thank you for buying us all new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Good, we don't need Planned obsolescence in Linux too!
          Let's just keep the hardware from landfills as much as possible!
          10 years old hardware will behave horribly on current Linux anyway. It's utterly pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Good, we don't need Planned obsolescence in Linux too!
            Let's just keep the hardware from landfills as much as possible!
            Yeah, 'cause we all know how great Fedora runs on old hardware.
            I mean: sure, if you tweak it enough, but at least the GNOME and KDE spins will not run so well, esp. out of the box. And Fedora is aiming at a great OOTB experience, so…

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

I am so thankful Alex you are going to buy me a new computer which I cannot afford on my own, so I keep using the one I have, thank you for your kindness to me to help get this done.

There are a lot of us out here who cannot afford new computers, thank you for buying us all new ones.
              That's a valid point. However, Fedora is aiming at a great OOTB experience and OOTB, at least Fedora GNOME and KDE won't run so well on old hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                10 years old hardware will behave horribly on current Linux anyway. It's utterly pointless.
                While systems older than 10 years generally don't have UEFI that isn't the only issue.

As was noted in the original article's comments systems with UEFI are often broken. I have quite a few systems and most of the ones older than ~ 2018 have broken UEFI that can only reliably boot Windows. That includes systems from companies you wouldn't otherwise expect like Dell and Lenovo, which supposedly support Linux.🤦

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I mean: sure, if you tweak it enough, but at least the GNOME and KDE spins will not run so well, esp. out of the box. And Fedora is aiming at a great OOTB experience, so…
                  Not true!

I run Kubuntu 21.10 on two desktop computers, one 10 and the other 12 years old and on both it works great!

They ran fine with Windows 7 that had Aero, so you can imagine how good it works with Linux, especially with a DE like KDE Plasma that is now pretty lighweight and fast.

Comment

It will run just fine out of the box on 10 year old hardware without any tweaking whatsoever on GNOME and KDE. Do you have ultra rare hardware? Cyrix CPUs and Matrox GPUs? And other not so well supported stuff?

Otherwise this is just myths and hoaxes.

Comment

There are still pretty capable pre-UEFI hardware, like the first 2 gens of intel core i CPU's, like i7 920 or i7 2600K. With i7 2600K you can even play fairly modern games as shown in this video. As you can see, when you pair it with a GTX 1070, it's not that behind even compared to an i7 8700K. And it doesn't have to be an i7 if you only want to have decent desktop performance. I have 2 old PC's, one with an i3 2100, an older one with Core 2 Quad and they both run Windows 10 just fine. If they can run modern Windows just fine, then they sure as hell can run any Linux disto even better because even the heaviest distro is still lighter on resources than Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X