Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSE/openSUSE Developing "Adaptable Linux Platform" For Next-Gen SUSE Linux Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

Well, here are the further details we were expecting...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ef_source=link
    ...and it ain't looking good for traditional Linux users that just want a simple flexible system installed from RPM packages.
    Boh! I don't read anything new from that link. What is wrong with users? In reality, flatpaks are much more flexible than rpm or deb tangled up in hundreds of dependencies, old and vulnerable software. I'm always amazed how many users struggle to accept changes and criticize them even before they happen. Also, rpm packages can still be installed independently.

Leave a comment:

• sb56637
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Tumbleweed will continue to be Tumbleweed, I don't think SLE-Leap will be a Micro OS, I have some doubts about it. I guess they have some different ideas, because I don't know if on the desktop side we are ready for a smooth transition like this. We just have to wait for more details ... but if they wanted SLE-Leap to be a MicroOS they just had to write it down, but they didn't.
    Well, here are the further details we were expecting...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...ef_source=link
    ...and it ain't looking good for traditional Linux users that just want a simple flexible system installed from RPM packages.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    MicroOS (immutable system + flatpaks) as the heart of SLES 16?

What does this mean for the future of TW as a full-fat distribution that acts as the feeder source for future SLES development?
    Tumbleweed will continue to be Tumbleweed, I don't think SLE-Leap will be a Micro OS, I have some doubts about it. I guess they have some different ideas, because I don't know if on the desktop side we are ready for a smooth transition like this. We just have to wait for more details ... but if they wanted SLE-Leap to be a MicroOS they just had to write it down, but they didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    MicroOS (immutable system + flatpaks) as the heart of SLES 16?

What does this mean for the future of TW as a full-fat distribution that acts as the feeder source for future SLES development?

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
    It sounds like an immutable desktop like Fedora Silverblue, Steam OS, etc...
    Suse already has its own flavor of it, it's called MicroOS

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

https://containertoolbx.org/ is used in Silverblue and it should be usable in other distros as well. Makes working with containers much nicer. It doesn't solve all of the problems here but goes a long way.
    I think it does bring it a long way, but there is still a very long way to go

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

It's a shame, because I think most of the needed pieces exist, but there are still a lot of rough edges. I can even imagine something extreme borrowing ideas from Qubes, just really slickly done. A very lightweight host which you don't even really interact with directly. Happily plowing through your daily tasks in your "main" container / vm without even really knowing it is a separate thing. You click a link in an email, if it's an external (untrusted) domain, it opens in a browser spawned in some throwaway container / vm (maybe with a highlighted border around the window). The experience is seamless no matter what you are really interacting with under the covers.

The hardware is getting fast enough. The software pieces are starting to fall into place. But there's a crap ton of polish that would need to happen. And since my dream is about the desktop, most companies won't care since there isn't obvious money it.
    I think it could be viable if they use the chrome os vmm, it's pretty sick and actually very well suited for desktop containerization, much more so then qemu is. but using crosvm as an end user is a bit more of a challenge then qemu is right now

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

It's easy to assume that Ubuntu's relative popularity on the (free) Linux desktop means that Canonical is very successful in the (paid) enterprise, but that isn't the case. SUSE is much larger than Canonical.

In terms of commercial success, Canonical < SUSE < Red Hat, and the jumps between those are all large. Red Hat is enormously successful compared to even SUSE. Canonical's revenue is a drop in the bucket in comparison.
    Part of that is age, and target market I think.

Red Hat and SuSE have been around (and targeting commercial entities) for a lot longer than Canonical, and companies will rarely make a shift like that without extremely good reasons (I knew a Prof. who complained about SuSE constantly, but every time he got a new system his immediate request was "Install SuSE [latest] please").

Red Hat is big in the US, while SuSE is (was?) more popular in Europe.

Not disagreeing, though.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    I'm just looking forward to Leap 15.4 and KDE 5.24, I really can't be arsed updating 15.3 to the latest Qt and KDE as something always breaks, goes wrong or dependency issues, I'm just getting too old to sort out that shit. Roll on June.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    This article is also interesting ...https://www.privacyguides.org/linux-desktop/

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
    It sounds like an immutable desktop like Fedora Silverblue, Steam OS, etc...
    Have you read https://grahamc.com/blog/erase-your-darlings ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X